Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMongol.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=379966
379966, Mongol.
Posted by Mongo, Wed Jun-18-08 11:12 AM
I recommend it.

HIGHLY.

If it has not been discussed yet, let's open it up.

I would almost call this the Mongolian 'Braveheart' except this is such a clearly mythologized story...Temujin is a practically deified in Mongolia, parts of Kazakhstan, os there was a rich canon to draw from, and some of the stuff has strong religious and political metaphors...

Beautifully shot, well-directed, well-acted...

379975, i knew there was something else i was supposed to see.
Posted by Esco, Wed Jun-18-08 11:26 AM
yeah i wanted to check this out. i will.
380006, Yeah I will be going to see this.
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jun-18-08 02:29 PM
Looks great.
380036, I'm seeing it tomorrow night
Posted by Olu, Wed Jun-18-08 04:24 PM
I'll post up after
380348, RE: Mongol.
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Fri Jun-20-08 03:57 AM
I saw it last night, good but not great. Beautifully shot and good chorography in the battle scenes (and i normally dislike action films). The biggest problem that i had with it was the story is quite boring - essentially the structure of the film is captured, escape, battle, captured, escape, battle.

But i would definitely recommend it.
380352, i am fired up like nobody's business for this
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jun-20-08 07:18 AM
382782, just saw it. liked it, didn't love it
Posted by bshelly, Mon Jun-30-08 08:47 PM
381241, Good movie.
Posted by jonz mahone, Mon Jun-23-08 09:26 PM
381634, I've been hype to see this joint. Checking it out, soon.
Posted by Raised under Reagan, Wed Jun-25-08 01:04 PM
382907, RE: Mongol.
Posted by kayohko, Tue Jul-01-08 12:07 PM
Beautifully shot? Yes. Well-acted? Yes. Complete story? No... but I say this ONLY if they don't cover certain things in the next two films. To my understanding "Mongol" is just the first of a 2-part saga?

For some reason it appeared that this movie would possess everything needed to indeed make it the "Mongolian Braveheart." However, I felt it lacked certain elements needed to give the audience a more in depth feel of what Temudjin actually accomplished.

****SPOILER ALERT*****

How did he get those thousands and thousands of followers? What happened between his younger years up until he was a teenager/adult? They spent a great deal of time on his younger years, which was definitely needed as an introductory to the film - showing the relationship with his father and how the Mongol tradition works. But Given it was a 2 hr + movie, an extra 15 mins split in half to show A) What he did to gather his army and B) Fill in something about his sword fighting/training/war techniques and strategic development, then it indeed would have been complete and had everything needed to give it that epic "Braveheart" feel, or better yet, title.

**SPOILER OVER*

Nonetheless, it was a beautiful film. Sergei Bodrov did an EXCELLENT job on it's direction and conveying to viewers an informing, thrilling and passionate look into the life of Mongols. I just felt it was incomplete. Perhaps he WILL cover all of what I mentioned aboved in the second part of the trilogy. If so, I'll gladly retract my statement.
494665, that flick is absolutely dope
Posted by thegodcam, Fri Jan-01-10 10:27 AM
499859, When is the second half coming out?
Posted by Raised under Reagan, Thu Jan-28-10 10:48 AM
499865, I too enjoyed it.
Posted by spades, Thu Jan-28-10 11:43 AM
Thought the relationship between him and his girl was SOOOO interesting.

Really made me think.
499868, You know he proabably slept with hundreds
Posted by chief1284, Thu Jan-28-10 12:01 PM
of women? People say his DNA is all over the whole Asian continent today (although through a complex genetic process - his decedents were all picked out as special and had the pick of women too).

Perhaps that'll get more conveyed in the second part (which last I heard was possibly being shelved - let's hope not).
499869, Oh wait
Posted by chief1284, Thu Jan-28-10 12:01 PM
Here we go:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/02/0214_030214_genghis.html
499877, I read Genghis Khan and the Making of The Modern World
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Jan-28-10 12:45 PM
Which is an absolutely incredibly well-researched history of how Temujin rose up from basically some punk kid on a hit list to become an incredibly modern leader for his time (and how his kids and grandkids fucked it up through infighting): http://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-Making-Modern-World/dp/0609809644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264701077&sr=8-1

So I'm definitely down for this.