Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt can work. It worked for Iron Man and Batman Begins
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=369999&mesg_id=370103
370103, It can work. It worked for Iron Man and Batman Begins
Posted by icecold21, Thu May-08-08 06:03 PM
Now those movies weren't perfectly accurate, but they were pretty close. The problem I have with X-Men is that the characters were so off it was hard, as long-time fan of the X-Men, to really enjoy it. All the movies were entertaining and I own them all, but it was ridiculously inaccurate. It was equivalent to taking The Simpsons and changing all of their characters around, like if Lisa was older than Bart, Maggie could talk, Milhouse was black, Moe was popular, Dr. Hibbert and Dr. Nick switched personalities, Lou was Chief and Wiggum wasn't, Apu was Asian, and Nelson's a college student. That's basically what they did to the X-Men characters.

It's not that Ian's acting skills sucked, it's just that they could have found someone better. There was no reason to make as many changes as they did, it just wasn't necessary. I expect some things to be different, because you can't take a cartoon character that's been developed over a period of 40 years and just throw him into a two hour movie and expected it to be a seamless transition. But it also doesn't have to be that messed up, either. I don't have to have Magneto throwing punches to make me happy, just keep the character's personality and look intact. And, to dispute your point, Magneto's scrapped his plans numerous times to save Xavier, and that is something that is of major importance to his character. It's essentially blasphemous for him to respond like that.