Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHow did PTP like V for Vendetta?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=357028
357028, How did PTP like V for Vendetta?
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 06:23 PM
I just saw half of the movie today again. I really liked this movies. i mean i never read the comic books so i'm not sure how true to the comic book it stayed. But it is one of my favorite comic book movies.

the story was good, the acting was superb, the pace was good for a 2hr comic book movie.

what say you guys?
357029, Never read the comic book
Posted by calij81, Tue Mar-11-08 06:27 PM
I also liked it, thought it was entertaining and relevant to todays political climate.
357032, watching it today i was like this is an underrated comic movie
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 06:32 PM
i don;t think it was too similar to things in the US now. thats was based in a dystopian england. we can at least for now still make fun of prez bush with out getting ransacked.
357040, No I didn't mean what the government did but how it
Posted by calij81, Tue Mar-11-08 06:51 PM
got the power to implement those martial law measures. Mostly playing off the fear of the people, the whole "strength through unity, unity through faith" and the monitoring of people through wire taps. Using terrorism to justify restrictions on human rights, things of that nature.

It also mentions how the US led war in the middle east got out of control.
357030, It pretty much pivots on whether you read the comic
Posted by spades, Tue Mar-11-08 06:30 PM
those who did, don't like the movie
those who didn't do.

*shrug*
357034, word????
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 06:33 PM
ima have to look for the comic book then.

see how it differs
357187, I love both.
Posted by James Peach, Wed Mar-12-08 10:58 AM
357031, bleh
Posted by will_5198, Tue Mar-11-08 06:30 PM
*never read the comic either*
357035, what didn't you like????
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 06:34 PM
357037, just kinda boring and overwrought
Posted by will_5198, Tue Mar-11-08 06:41 PM
plus the characterization of V and Evey was weak
357038, yeah definitely wasn't a typical comic book movie
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 06:46 PM
but i thought the characters were good.

i mean why V was pretty strong was explained and eve you find that she is helped when she gets tortured by V.
357044, their motives were explained, but I never got
Posted by will_5198, Tue Mar-11-08 07:00 PM
a strong connection to the characters...they were underdeveloped

all that "ultimate sacrifice" at the end seemed hollow
357047, Co-sign
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Mar-11-08 07:24 PM
It was fine but it was kind of "These guys are bad because they are bad" to me. I never really cared about any of the characters. I was very disappointed when I first saw it but I watched it again on cable and thought it was decent.
357212, RE: just kinda boring and overwrought
Posted by maternalbliss, Wed Mar-12-08 12:20 PM
>plus the characterization of V and Evey was weak
Disagree. V and Evey are both victims of trauma based mind control. V becomes obsessed and Evvey is the complete opposite. i think the character development is adequate and accurate when you look at both V and evey's backgrounds.
357059, Thumbs down
Posted by 13Rose, Tue Mar-11-08 08:10 PM
and I didn't read the book.
357063, damn
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 08:24 PM
no one liked this movie???? :(
357065, i loved it
Posted by xangeluvr, Tue Mar-11-08 08:39 PM
was entertained the entire time. plus i love natalie.

my friend, who i expected to hate it, actually loved it too.
357073, cool at least i'm not the only one
Posted by walihorse, Tue Mar-11-08 09:03 PM
and co sign natalie portman, oh man esp when she was stripping in closer
357086, not having read the comic, i was thoroughly entertained.
Posted by dgonsh, Tue Mar-11-08 09:51 PM
it definately dragged in the second half. but it picked up at the end.

the images were really powerful. that's pretty much how id describe the whole movie. powerful.

the only time i really thought "comic book" was the images of V in flames in the flashback bursting out of the hospital. other than that, it was a solid action flick that leaned a little too heavily on its political messages.

natalie was stunning even with a shaved head. few woman in hollywood can pull that off and still keep me attracted.
357117, i liked it
Posted by AZ, Wed Mar-12-08 12:34 AM
never read the comic
357125, IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Wordup, Wed Mar-12-08 02:02 AM
and i did not read the book
357128, Could have been a lot better
Posted by Wrongthink, Wed Mar-12-08 02:53 AM
had a big opportunity to say some really interesting and topical things about terror politics and the responsibility of the populace to keep a government in check through dissent and revolution. I think the major flaw was that they made the government so unbelievably evil that the arguement for rebellion was so simple...you'd have to be an idiot not to fight back to them.
357249, yeah but thats how most dystopian works are
Posted by walihorse, Wed Mar-12-08 02:27 PM
for example 1984.

all the thins the goverment was doing was unbelieveable. but it still lets me is that if unchecked it can get that far, but even if it does. a fight or revolution can still be made

and in 1984 is even more disheartening, big bother was even controlling the group that was doing the revolting
357305, Well, not true really
Posted by Wrongthink, Wed Mar-12-08 05:11 PM
For example, in A Scanner Darkly or Children of Men the government is much more subtle in excercising it's complete control over the populace.

1984 was written in a time directly following some of the most grotesquely overbearing fascist dictatorships, it was fitting and appropriate for Orwell to use those images and ideas. In 2008 governments are far more clever in their control mechanisms, and far more subtle.

In V for Vendetta they used mostly Nazi imagery, I just think it was too much, in that it didn't challenge the viewer at all to support rebellion against a government that killed 130 000 of its own people for personal gain. I think it would be better if the government's excesses were just as persistent but less over-the-top, presenting the question to the viewer of "how far DOES a government have to go before I should consider rebelling against it?"

Here's the part where you stop reading unless you're particularly interested in things I have to say:

My friend went to a diner and roundtable discussion at a pro-business think tank called The Fraser Institute a few years ago. The roundtable was set up to discuss a fictional situation in which a manufacturing plant was set up in a poverty stricken area in a third world country, and to discuss the positives and benefits of use of foreign labour.

Fine.

The problem was that the fictional scenario was set up such that everybody benefitted, yet it was acting to serve as a reason why globalization generally benefitted the poor. My friend pointed out that no one in their right mind would argue that this fictional warehouse with great and safe working conditions and fair pay in a poverty stricken area would be a bad thing for anyone, but the question really should be "WHEN is using foreign labour okay, and when is it exploitative?"

I feel like the movie did the same thing as The Fraser Institute. No one in their right minds would think that the populace should have done anything other than rise up against this awful regime, but I think it could have been far greater a movie (given the climate at its release date and the desparate need for the provoking of debate) had they framed the argument against a less monstrous but still evil regime, forcing the viewers to actually think about when rebellion is good, and when it's bad.

I liked the movie, I just think it had the opportunity to be great.
357344, I never saw scanner darkly but children of men had a different problem
Posted by walihorse, Wed Mar-12-08 07:08 PM
i agree with you in the sense that. the movie those lead you in that you have to agree with the rebellion. but most movies are the same way.

thats most important scene to me in that movie was, when the guys with the show, gets taken away for making fun of the chancellor. and gets taken away. take the soviet union back in the day. it isn't so far fetched.

but yeah i liked the movie. regardless of the intentional or unintentional messages. i was entertained
357510, See it
Posted by jigga, Thu Mar-13-08 10:47 AM
357129, I loved it.
Posted by jadedeejay, Wed Mar-12-08 02:58 AM
It probably ranks up there as one of my five favorite comic based movies. Speaking as someone who HAS read the book, V is probably the ONLY comic based movie I've seen where I walked out the theater feeling that the deviations from the book actually improved on the source material.

But that's just me.

"Fuck the streets!"

-?uestlove

www.myspace.com/djjedi1
357137, liked it
Posted by bshelly, Wed Mar-12-08 08:13 AM
357139, I've never read the comic, but I liked it a lot.
Posted by disco dj, Wed Mar-12-08 08:19 AM
I wanted to see more of the Backstory on V.

Maybe I'll go buy the Graphic Novel.

357141, It was Okay
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Wed Mar-12-08 08:25 AM

R.I.P. Sean Taylor, 1983-2007

http://cscpov.blogspot.com/

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton
357166, loved it
Posted by araQual, Wed Mar-12-08 10:03 AM
V.
357169, i liked it
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Wed Mar-12-08 10:14 AM
357173, I really liked it alot
Posted by Dae021, Wed Mar-12-08 10:17 AM
I mean this one quote does it for me "The people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of their people"

LOVE it.
357206, RE: I really liked it alot
Posted by mika0016, Wed Mar-12-08 11:46 AM
as a degree holder in Poli Sci I fucking loved it, as a film minor it was solid.

i give it 8.345

that's all.
357482, That's how I felt about it
Posted by Dae021, Thu Mar-13-08 09:31 AM
I loved the look at society, the Soc major in me loved it.
357711, that quote is based on this:
Posted by zavidovici, Thu Mar-13-08 07:34 PM
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson
357994, Oh I knew where it was derived from
Posted by Dae021, Fri Mar-14-08 04:04 PM
I think that made me like it more.

Thanks for the knowledge dropping though.
357214, RE: 2 thumbs up
Posted by maternalbliss, Wed Mar-12-08 12:23 PM
357221, I've read the comic. (SPOILER)
Posted by xbenzive, Wed Mar-12-08 12:45 PM

V is a Homosexual.

for whatever reason why the movie didn't show that made it an O.K. film for me.

overall. It's was good, but the comic is great.

< Buddha's Eight-fold Path by Utagawa Kunisada II
357224, RE: I've read the comic. (SPOILER)
Posted by bski, Wed Mar-12-08 01:12 PM
>V is a Homosexual.

V's never revealed to be a homosexual in the book.
Did I miss something?

I'm tired of the "worst song I've ever heard" being something new every month.
-okp simpsycho

http://www.myspace.com/bski
http://www.myspace.com/livesociety
357307, it's never spelled out specifically that he's gay
Posted by James Peach, Wed Mar-12-08 05:15 PM
but I thought it to be true after the second time I read it. You can't hold it against the movie if it wasn't stated in the comic.
358271, RE: it's never spelled out specifically that he's gay
Posted by sithlord, Mon Mar-17-08 11:56 AM
I read somewhere that Moore wanted him originally to be a transexual terrorist. Needless to say, that was nixed.
When you really think about it, the gay part makes sense.

357248, word????
Posted by walihorse, Wed Mar-12-08 02:24 PM
i'm going have to read the books now.

357975, It's a process of elimination
Posted by sithlord, Fri Mar-14-08 02:53 PM
The people in the camps were undesirables. Most were immigrants, some were homosexuals and some were dissidents. V obviously wasn't an immigrant, so that means he was a homosexual. He didn't claim to be political before he was taken to the camps, so that means he was a homosexual.

In the book, Evey has an affair with the guy she runs to (I forget his name) when she escapes V the first time. In the movie, that character is portrayed as gay and V is portrayed as in love with Evey. That never comes across in the book.

I liked the book, but the stuff that was changed in the movie IMO would be unfilmable, and therefore it improved the pacing of the story. that in mind, I really, really enjoyed the movie.
358110, well, not to mention
Posted by James Peach, Sat Mar-15-08 04:05 PM
he was a bit dramatic, and just had homo tendencies in general. I forget the parts I cited when I brought this up the first time. Need to read again.
357230, Liked it better on subsequent viewings. Portman's accent was iffy tho
Posted by jigga, Wed Mar-12-08 01:23 PM
357339, loved it
Posted by Smetana, Wed Mar-12-08 07:00 PM
nm
357432, RE: How did PTP like V for Vendetta?
Posted by funklectic, Thu Mar-13-08 07:00 AM
probably my favourite "super"hero movie of recent times.
357437, loved it
Posted by gluvnast, Thu Mar-13-08 07:29 AM
it's maybe the ONLY comic book or movie based on a graphic novel that actually made me THINK about the world we live in TODAY after leaving the theater.....

i loved the fact that it was really a political movie disgiused as a action comic book thiller....

along with "road to pedition", it's definately one of my all-time favorite comic book movies....
357571, AMAZING!
Posted by Logic_Marsalis, Thu Mar-13-08 01:38 PM
358023, i thought it was excellent.
Posted by Scrapluv, Fri Mar-14-08 07:31 PM
358027, I really enjoyed it.
Posted by kysersozey, Fri Mar-14-08 08:25 PM
358072, RE: I really enjoyed it.
Posted by Wahday, Sat Mar-15-08 08:10 AM
Compared to the comic, it sucked. The Theme at the end was wrong too. Needless to say the entire movie pissed me off. I Went and read the comic again to get the bad taste out of my mouth
358073, didnt dislike it just liked the book more
Posted by Deluge, Sat Mar-15-08 09:26 AM
the issue with films based on comics/graphic novels/books is that they cut stuff out and change things up to appeal to a wider audience

and sometimes that stuff is exactly whats so appealing about the source material
358089, absolutely loved it
Posted by Harmonia, Sat Mar-15-08 01:05 PM
was it perfect? no, but i can forgive that

maybe i just really needed to see Natalia Portman in this kind of role after those awful Star Wars prequels

358116, The movie was boring. The V character was great.
Posted by ansomble, Sat Mar-15-08 04:36 PM
and the scene where the girl is in the prison was good too.
358249, did you just not like it? or can you HONESTLY say it was boring?
Posted by disco dj, Mon Mar-17-08 09:19 AM
I mean with all that vivid imagery and action you found it "boring"?

movies set in the Victorian age are boring.

not liking it, I can see...but Seriously. you found this movie BORING?
358426, I loved it
Posted by Kevan, Mon Mar-17-08 11:42 PM
it was and is great
358428, Cool enough, but the Wachowskis have such an awful ear for dialogue.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-17-08 11:44 PM
358435, one of my favorite movies ever...
Posted by InFluenCe, Tue Mar-18-08 04:59 AM
its so progressive and moving to me...

after the movie i wanted to start a revolution and blow up shit... but of course without proper planning that shit is stupid to do.
358516, sort of boring
Posted by REDeye, Tue Mar-18-08 12:12 PM
just didn't work for me. Not horrible, but it just sort of sat there.

Never read the comic.

I think having a main character with a mask on the whole time is bad for a movie.

RED
http://arrena.blogspot.com