Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject*sits in post solely to watch O_E rip people up*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=354402&mesg_id=354584
354584, *sits in post solely to watch O_E rip people up*
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Mar-01-08 03:29 AM
Guys, the question isn't whether the film is well-shot (it is), whether the mood is appropriately creepy (it is), or whether there are lots of vague activities you could spend hours making theories for (you could).

The question is, is it a good film? To me, a film tells a story. And to me, the story in Eyes Wide Shut was dull, nonsensical, and I'm not entirely sure existed. We can say we "appreciated the cinematography" or "found the mood eerie and effectively tense"... but those aren't the MOVIE. They're just small elements.

I think The Village sets a great mood, and has great cinematography. Doesn't excuse the story from sucking (and I'm a defender of Night Dogg's first three flicks too). Same with Eyes Wide Shut (and again, I'll defend a good number of Kubrick's flicks too). Both movies, at the end of the day, aren't good. I don't care what you think the films' endings say about society or whatever cockamamie nonsense plea you're ready to strike.

Eyes Wide Shut, to me, is The Village, with fewer monsters, fewer disabilities, and more titties.