Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI think it's that Perry has such dedicated fans who swear by his
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=345813&mesg_id=355652
355652, I think it's that Perry has such dedicated fans who swear by his
Posted by Nukkapedia, Thu Mar-06-08 08:04 PM
stuff.

I don't think you'll have arguments with most folks where one side is trying to convince the other that "Meet the Spartans" is art. With Tyler Perry, though...

One big issue, of course, is that there are so few Black films coming out of Hollywood. A lot of people give Perry respect, regardless of the quality of his output, for the simple fact that he's a black man directing, writing, and producing his own films outside of the major studio system (I half-expect someone to run up and call him the 21st century's answer to Oscar Michaeaux, although this would be a fallacy on a number of levels). I, myself, am not one of those people, because I just don't feel the work that's coming out of this particular self-sufficient system warrants much praise (indeed, the only person I know outside of OKP who disagrees with me is my mother).

It's a lot like the people who buy 50 Cent and Britney Spears records; either they don't have better material to compare the stuff to, or they do but don't care. That's how I see it, at least.