Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's almost happened a couple times.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=344996&mesg_id=345140
345140, It's almost happened a couple times.
Posted by genius.switch, Tue Jan-22-08 02:56 PM
Fay Bainter won best actress for Jezebel and was also nominated in the supporting category for White Banners.

Teresa Wright won best supporting acress for Mrs. Miniver, while also being nominated in the lead category for The Pride of the Yankees.

Jessica Lange won best supporting acress for Tootsie, while also being nominated in the lead category for Frances.

Holly Hunter won best actress for The Piano and was also nominated in the supporting category for The Firm.

Doing a quick check, those were the closest cases I found.

I think that Blanchett was nominated in the lead category, the least expected of her two nominations, helps her in the supporting category. In that latter grouping, it's been a two-woman race between her and Amy Ryan all along. If people adapt the mindset of "I'll save my best actress vote for her supporting role since she has a stronger chance there", then she should be able to outpace Ryan. But it's all amateur speculation at this point.

EDIT: I only checked between actresses . . . don't know if the feat's been pulled off by a male actor before.