Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI enjoyed numerous aspects, but I just couldn't get that invested emotionally
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=336439&mesg_id=370828
370828, I enjoyed numerous aspects, but I just couldn't get that invested emotionally
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon May-12-08 02:30 AM
Maybe it's because we weren't able to see any background with Keira and James. I know they had a history, I know they had some connection throughout the years....but as much as I tried to tell myself that and get invested into that connection, their 'love' being torn apart just did not have the emotional resonance because the viewer never SAW any of the past between them(there was no development of this connection that the viewer actually got to witness, it straight up jumped into this relationship that we all assume, but that is far different than actually seeing it over time, and struggling with them). That is the main emotional element to the movie, and not being able to connect to that, imo took alot out of its meaning for me.

The score was brilliant esp with the typewriting, the performanes were excellent, and that 5-min shot on the beach? Stunning, absolutely stunning. If only I could have felt the emotion that was intended....