Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI've been meaning to check out Mad Men on DVD
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=323633&mesg_id=345114
345114, I've been meaning to check out Mad Men on DVD
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Jan-22-08 01:57 PM
I'm glad to see AMC has swerved from it's original purpose: to prove that Fright Night is indeed an American Movie Classic.

I hear you on your wish that ads would just be what they are and state their case and quit trying to be so damn likable. Or edgy. Or poetic. I think most people would say the same thing. But the horror of focus groups has taught me that people really aren't all that great at figuring out what they want in an ad. They can say they just want the facts, please, but then some bright, imaginative ad will come along and make them forget all about the more straight forward ads. The problem is that so many ads go for that and fail, with the end result being a lot of obnoxious advertising. Whereas it could have just been a lot of boring but unobjectionable advertising.

And of course there are ways to make ads that are both creative and straight forward. That's kind of the holy grail to me.

But yeah, a lot of those Helvetica ads were not very impressive from a conceptual perspective. Just a different way to dress up the same unobjectionable advertising.

Am I the only one that thinks the American Airlines logo was the crappiest "shining example" of Helvetic offered in the film?