Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectStylez, you should really check out 'Mad Men'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=323633&mesg_id=345098
345098, Stylez, you should really check out 'Mad Men'
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Jan-22-08 01:36 PM
I dunno if the episodes are still on On Demand, or if they're available on DVD or what... but yeah, you need to look into it.

I don't know that the Helvetica-ized ads were any stronger conceptually than their predecessors. Bolder, definitely. And probably much more effective just by virtue of the fact that the public hadn't really seen anything like it before. The concept is always going to be 'You want to buy this', the advertisers just have to switch their methods up from time to time. 'Viral Marketing' is kind of a recent buzz word, but the thing is marketing has always been viral. And certain bugs only work for so long before the public grows immune. Then you gotta use a different bug.

As a consumer, I like how the ads of the 50s didn't try to be anything other than ads. Today you will occasionally see a retro-styled ad in the same vein visually, but they're working on other levels, too. They're being all cheeky about it. I mean I'm guilty of making ads like that myself, but as a consumer I'm like 'stop trying to be my friend, ad.'

(sorry about the tangent... I'm just really pushing for the platinum status here)