Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectt h i s w a s g o o d
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=323633&mesg_id=344525
344525, t h i s w a s g o o d
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sun Jan-20-08 04:15 PM
My wife even sort of liked it, at least the parts she didn't sleep through, so I think that's a good sign. Even if you're not a designer/design nerd, this movie will make you stop and think about the visual language of the world around you, possibly in a way you never took the time to consider. The remaining hour and fifteen minutes may bore you to tears, though. Fair warning.

They had some really great designers on there giving commentary. Some of these guys, I've seen their work, I've used their fonts, I've read their essays, but I'd never seen what they look like. So that was kind of cool. Sagmeister and Carson were 2 big heroes of mine in college (aka when everyone thinks they're going to design nothing but album covers for the rest of their lives) and although I find that Carson in particular is mostly full of crap, he's always fun and interesting with it. It was cool how they kind of traced the rise and fall and second coming of type, those shifts have always fascinated me.

There were definitely some mad doggies in this film. But they seemed to fall into 2 categories: Either their work just tended to be more on the studio art/illustrative side of things, or they disagreed with the *idea* of Helvetica moreso than the font itself.

Surf magazines and album covers aside, I do think that Helvetica is the font for modern civilization we we know it. Until our needs change drastically enough to require a new visual language, I don't see anything fucking with the GOAT.

That said, Frutiger and Akzidenz are pretty cool, too.