Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectno, they're not exclusively black.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=321926&mesg_id=323306
323306, no, they're not exclusively black.
Posted by Nukkapedia, Wed Oct-17-07 07:59 AM
but we don't have as many alternatives to those sorts of films as "mainstream" audiences do, which is the problem. It's the same thing with black radio: where there a _balance_, there would be less of an issue over the content and quality of what reaches the masses.

As for us "boho hipsters" being "too good" for things that appeal to the "mass black audience", that's a very poor generalization. I'm hardly a boho or a hipster; I'm just someone who appreciates good cinema, well-made films.

Putting affluent black characters in front of a camera, having them not say too many bad words, and praising Jesus in reel six is not enough for me when the tones of various scenes are unbalanced, everything is pitched - in earnest - at an over-the-top melodramatic level, shots don't match, simple comedy routines that have been standard since the days of Charlie Chaplin are poorly executed because of the ineptitude of the director, cinematographer, and/or editor, the acting is poor, and the story is unbelievable (different, as I noted in GD, from "unrealistic").

There is no good reason why I should support Tyler Perry simply because he and I share a ethnic catagorization. There have been, are, and will be better black filmmakers.