Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI so totally agree with this. (SPOILERS ABOUND!)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=321926&mesg_id=322610
322610, I so totally agree with this. (SPOILERS ABOUND!)
Posted by 83, Sun Oct-14-07 03:13 AM
I went into this thinking "man, this is going to suck, but I feel like being entertained however briefly and nothing else looks good, so...."

and I was shocked that I actually found parts to be hilarious.

Some review said you'd laugh and cry and laugh, but I never felt like that emotional sad scenes were up to par with the hysterical nature of the scenes that made me laugh.

And yes, the definite stars of the show were Tasha Smith and Jill Scott. It's amazing how natural Jill was...I had a ready made excuse waiting for her, "Well Jill and Janet were so horrible because they aren't even really actresses, their talent rests in singing and entertaining so how could you expect them to be good actors?" but Jill doesn't need my charity, she really belongs on the screen.

Good for Sharon Leal, getting some work after Dreamgirls. Pretty girl, has acting talent to match, that's always nice.

Janet was horrible. That scene where she was yelling and crying about her dead kid was laughable, as was Malik's involvement with that scene...Not saying men can't cry but that shit came across as extremely corny.

I really liked the fact that the characters were wealthy as fuck and werent entertainers, I know in this day and age that shouldnt be a point of praise, but it struck me as cool that they were mega successful architects and business owners and writers. It did ring a bit weird that the 3 girlfriends would just up and let Jill Scott work in a general store for all that time, especially since the sale of just one of their Louis Vuitton purses could set her up nicely for a minute...I know they asked if they could help her and she said no, but come the fuck on.

Also sketchy was them even considering letting Ricahrd T Jones stay at the house before and after Jill Scott got there. You are obviously sleeping with a bitch, bring her here, and then tell your WIFE to drive? And all we're going to do is look at you disapprovingly and call the girl a slut? We aren't going to beat the fuck out of you and make you drive and find her? Horrible writing.

I wonder how much Tyler had to resist the urge to put in a girls-only sing-a-long with Janet and Jill briefly flexing their singing muscle...I admit I was kind of hoping something might pop off, just as a cute nod to the fans of Janet and Jill....

I was surprised to see Tyler be the strongest male lead acting wise, I thought I would have to stifle laughter going into the movie, trying to *Really* believe that he was married to a gorgeous lady like Sharon Leal, but wow he did a great job, didn't over or underact, it was nice.

Is it weird that I didn't really notice a huge difference between fat suit Jill and end-of-the-movie/regular music star Jill? Like obviously there is a big difference weightwise, but it never really registered for me other than the one scene where she was at the cafe with the sheriff and was wearing tight clothes, and the lingerie scene...but the physical impact of her weighing her normal self at the end was lost on me, because I didnt really register the difference, maybe I'm the only one though...

It annoyed me that they were dealing with real issues, but then Tyler, ever reminded not to offend his meal ticket, the church-going sector of ticket-buyers, would have his characters saying "butthole" instead of "asshole". Minor gripe, but it pissed me off nonetheless.

THe best acting job Michael Jai White did was look drunk as fuck in the bar scene. I dont know if he didnt go to sleep for a day before filming that scene or what, but his eyes had that 'drunk look' to him, and I thought his eyes did a better acting job than all of the male leads (excluding Tyler) put together.