Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectUh... as (bloody) good as advertised! And yes, there will be blood.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=320792&mesg_id=334383
334383, Uh... as (bloody) good as advertised! And yes, there will be blood.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Dec-03-07 06:36 PM
No spoilers, but I'll say that Harry's synopsis was on-point

And I think Depp did a fine job, don't be expecting (insert the name of a TRULY talented white crooner here, I can't think of any off the top)

Everyone acquitted themselves quite well: Helena Bonham Carter, Rickman, Sacha Baron Cohen, the young gay-looking dude (Jamie Campbell-Bower), the kid, Timothy Spall

Only problem is I thought the 3rd act felt rushed, like Tim felt the running time getting long and decided to just get to the finish in under 2 hours

But other than that, yeah, it looked and sounded GREAT

And again, two warnings: 1. it's a MUSICAL in the strictest, old-school sense. Cats are singing practically thoroughout, with a few moments of spoken dialogue, so don't be mad after you see it, on some "why was they singing the WHOLE time, yo, shit was dumb" steeze; 2. the movie's very, VERY, VERY bloody. There are shots where blood literally squirts all over the place. It's blatantly excessive, but I thought it was presented in the spirit of good, dirty fun, so I wasn't bothered by it. But be sure to warn your girl, or your S.O., this ain't Pirates 4, muhfukkas get MURKED in large quantities

And I haven't seen the stage version, so I'll be curious to see how it compares to the film

But yeah, I really liked the film a lot