Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI was just making a joke
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=319606&mesg_id=321255
321255, I was just making a joke
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Oct-06-07 05:38 PM
cuz dude has one of the whitest sounding names I've ever heard, so that name attached to the title just struck me as funny.

>but does he make valid points? is one white dude not allowed
>to have an opinion about another white dude now?

Nah nothing like that. but are his points valid? I didn't read most of it cuz I want to aviod any spoilers for Darjeeling, but as for this part:

"The Darjeeling Limited, Anderson's latest movie, showcases an obnoxious element of Anderson that is rarely discussed: the clumsy, discomfiting way he stages interactions between white protagonists—typically upper-class elites—and nonwhite foils—typically working class and poor."

- Based on his other movies, I dunno about all that. Luke Wilson's interaction with the Salvadorian maid in Bottle Rocket, maybe some would look at as discomforting but I don't see why, it seemed pretty genuine and innocent to me. Max's interaction with Margaret Yang is clumsy, but that has nothing to do with race (not to mention Margaret seems to be solidly middle-class while Max is actually working-class). Royal's interaction with Danny Glover was somewhat racially discomforting, but that was all part of Royal's character development about how he was such a dickhead (and again, Glover was in fact weathier than Royal) I guess Royal's relationship with Pagoda could rub some the wrong way, but that shit was just funny and not really serious, I don't really think it was that big of a deal to get bent out of shape about like this dude seems to be.

I mean, are his movies super-white? yeah, pretty much. are they racially discomforting though? I don't see it.

maybe Darjeeling is though, I dunno. I'll wait to see what I think about it when I watch it.