Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectsome stock characters and plots (spoils)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=315998&mesg_id=320033
320033, some stock characters and plots (spoils)
Posted by spivak, Mon Oct-01-07 05:01 PM
1. i didn't think he needed to be undercover. the fact that they tried to kill him in place of their son was enough motive to takeover. i preferred thinking that he was just a gangster who didn't see everything so cut and dry, black and white.

2. how many times are we gonna see a crime family ruined by some idiot son who can't get his shit together?

3. i dislike the white heroine. why does it have to be a white woman who gets too involved and still emerges unscathed? she should've known her place, esp. w/ her uncle warning her. instead, just like a white woman (see: peace corps, missionaries, etc.) she has to immerse herself.

4. i didn't care for the russian stereotypes. is this all we can imagine about russia--underage prostitutes and provincial banquets, side by side?

i suppose these all go without saying, but i'm saying them anyways. besides them, i enjoyed the film. both incredibly gory yet slow and methodical. i also liked that it didn't try to be too clever. the story was pretty straightforward, but it was a good story.