Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: That's some pretty lame excuse-making if I ever seen it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=309191&mesg_id=309373
309373, RE: That's some pretty lame excuse-making if I ever seen it.
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Aug-20-07 03:20 PM
>>So to compare it to Oceans 11 or even Naked Gun isn't
>really
>>that big of a knock.
>
>
>Yes, it is.

Comparing a movie to other good movies? Not so much.

>The laziest defense of a movie, one that I get too often,
>is the "you took it too seriously" bullshit. Its nothing more
>than a way for someone to pardon the dumbass bullshit in a
>given
>film. You point out dumb shit, and people say:
>
>"Aw...man, you're focusing on the wrong stuff!
>Its just a fun movie!"

Not saying that at all. It is a fun movie. But it's not JUST a fun movie, if you get me.

I'll skip a lot of the other stuff you said as it contains no reason nor relevance to anything whatsoever.

>Don't use that excuse to pardon the lame, sloppy storyline
>and all the non-Decap boring characters.

I thought you said it was a "Nice little crime storyline" in your original post? What was sloppy about it? I thought the plot structure was actually one of the better things going for it.

>If you can't admit that 'The Departed' was supposed to be
>way, way, way, way, way, way, way, more serious than
>Oceans 11 than you're just being a coward.

I can't admit it because I don't think it's true.

>What "nuances?"
>
>>What the fuck are you talking about?
>
>"sexual subtext?"

Well, there's a ton of it. There's this whole thing with morality/fertility, fathers/sons, double lives, etc. etc.... there's also the possibility that Matt Damon's character was a repressed homosexual who compensated with this contrived 'tough guy' routine. I can understand why you might have chosen not to catch *that* one, though.

Anyway, watch the movie again, or go check out the big ol' Departed post from way back if you're interested in some of the subtleties (though not all that subtle) of the flick. There really is a good bit going on below the surface, but of course if you ignore that stuff the film can be just as enjoyable.

>Now I remember why I don't post in PTP. You guys love to
>make yourselves feel smart with your over-analysis.
>
>There was some drugs, and fucking in the movie.

Oh you were on drugs? Well that explains everything.

>Stop making excuses. She was boring, and her scenes sucked.

She confronted Matt Damon about his impotence while eating a banana. That was a good scene.

But, like I said, she wasn't my favorite part of the movie, nor a part that I'd spend too much energy on defending. But the character/subplot did contribute to the overall film.

I would recommend maybe watching it again, not high this time, and seeing how you like it then.