Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectsee, but it IS some tabloid shit.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=300972&mesg_id=301997
301997, see, but it IS some tabloid shit.
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Jul-23-07 02:11 PM
Not because of anything to do with sexual predators, but rather the format of the show itself. After a few minutes of watching, you're not really thinking about the deeper, darker implications of what's really going on here... You're just waiting for Hansen to come gliding in that kitchen with those chat logs in hand. I'd like to think most of us are laughing at Hansen and the show itself, not child molestation.

And I can't deny the train wreck appeal of seeing someone's life come crashing down on them. Sad fact is, we want to see that kind of shit. And this show let's us know it's okay to watch because hey, these guys are monsters, right?

So yeah, it's shitty television. But it's not like Hansen is beyond criticism because he's some sort of internet superhero... He's beyond criticism because he's completely fucking shameless.

And honestly, I have just as much fun watching any of his other "To Catch a _____" specials. It's the kind of sensationalized "journalism" that makes stuff like The Daily Show and The Onion possible.