Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=297660
297660, The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post
Posted by Melanism, Mon Jul-09-07 08:20 AM
Two days and counting.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Saturday to see this with friends at IMAX.

Here's the Variety review:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

A Warner Bros. release of a Heyday Films production. Produced by David Heyman, David Barron. Executive producer, Lionel Wigram. Co-producer, John Trehy. Directed by David Yates. Screenplay, Michael Goldenberg, based on the novel by J.K. Rowling.

Harry Potter - Daniel Radcliffe
Ron Weasley - Rupert Grint
Hermione Granger - Emma Watson
Bellatrix Lestrange - Helena Bonham Carter
Rubeus Hagrid - Robbie Coltrane
Lord Voldemort - Ralph Fiennes
Albus Dumbledore - Michael Gambon
Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody - Brendan Gleeson
Vernon Dursley - Richard Griffiths
Lucius Malfoy - Jason Isaacs
Sirius Black - Gary Oldman
Severus Snape - Alan Rickman
Petunia Dursley - Fiona Shaw
Minerva McGonagall - Maggie Smith
Dolores Umbridge - Imelda Staunton
Remus Lupin - David Thewlis
Sybil Trelawney - Emma Thompson
Argus Filch - David Bradley
Filius Flitwick - Warwick Davis
Draco Malfoy - Tom Felton
Cornelius Fudge - Robert Hardy
Mrs. Weasley - Julie Walters
Arthur Weasley - Mark Williams
Cho Chang - Katie Leung
Neville Longbottom - Matthew Lewis
Luna Lovegood - Evanna Lynch
Ginny Weasley - Bonnie Wright

By TODD MCCARTHY
The students at Hogwarts leave youthful hijinks behind once and for all in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." Considerably grimmer and grittier than the previous pictures in the phenomenally successful series, new entry finds the young charges' head-on collision with adolescence taking a backseat to their sober confrontation with unvarnished evil. Pottermania will reach a peak in July with the nearly simultaneous release of the fifth film and the seventh and final book, and only commercial concern for Warner Bros. may be that, after the second or third week, curiosity about the concluding tome could overshadow interest in the film.

Extravagantly produced in the expected manner, pic nevertheless marks a notable departure in tone from those that preceded it. From the opening scene, portents of bad tidings ahead hang over everyone and everything connected to the wizarding world, even as the magical establishment insists there is no threat at large in the land.

Altered feel this time around stems in large measure from the new blood recruited to push the franchise into ever-darker domains. Director David Yates, heretofore known mostly for his television work (and already engaged to helm the sixth film); screenwriter Michael Goldenberg, replacing series perennial Steve Kloves; and composer Nicholas Hooper, whose vigorously dramatic music uses only a smidgen of John Williams' themes, make the most decisive difference in steering the focus away from flights of fancy and in-house intrigue in favor of elaborate and sometimes heavy-handed foreshadowing of the inevitable showdown between Harry and Lord Voldemort.

Concentrated focus results in an unsettling mood and dramatic scenes of unusual intensity. But condensing the book, which at 870 pages is the longest J.K. Rowling has written, into the shortest film in the series has come at a price. Many viewers won't at all mind that this is the first "Potter" picture without a Quidditch match, nor that house elves and cutesy ghosts are largely absent as well.

But more serious is the diminishment of the myriad intrigues among individuals and factions that comprise so much of the stories' delightfully complicated fabric. Interplay detailing the fluctuating relationships involving Harry, Hermione, Ron (particularly slighted here), Cho Chang and intriguing newcomer Luna Lovegood (Evanna Lynch) is sacrificed in favor of repeated group scenes of Harry teaching his clandestine band of teenage warriors the finer points of wand work. Classroom scenes are scanted and a sense of the school year passing is minute, giving the film a flattened-out feel compared to the wondrous eventfulness of Mike Newell's "Goblet of Fire," the last and most successful series installment.

Current yarn commences at the end of a parched English summer, when Harry (Daniel Radcliffe, back with a clean-cut look) lands in hot water with the Ministry of Magic for issuing a forbidden curse to fend off an attack by two Dementors. Harry's Inquisition-like hearing, where he narrowly escapes expulsion from Hogwarts thanks to the unexpected intervention of Dumbledore (Michael Gambon), sets out the central conflict: The Ministry refuses to accept Harry's contention that Lord Voldemort is back and, in fact, is prepared to put all its propaganda muscle into discrediting Harry and Dumbledore.

To this end, the Ministry imposes one of its own as this year's professor of the Dark Arts. Dolores Umbridge is one of Rowling's most delicious -- and resonantly named -- creations; a stout, toad-like woman reliably clad in shades of pink, Umbridge is a party functionary par excellence, a rules-and-regulations fanatic with a whim of iron who cloaks her proscriptive edicts in dulcet tones and manufactured smiles. Imelda Staunton was the perfect choice for the part and unsurprisingly emerges as one of the film's greatest pleasures.

Umbridge wastes no time clamping down on Harry, the other kids and the Hogwarts staff; assuming more power virtually by the day, she puts her most outspoken student in painful detention, prohibits the learning of practical curses, begins firing wayward teachers and ultimately confronts Dumbledore to assert complete Ministry control over the school.

In response, Harry assembles an underground rebel band known as Dumbledore's Army. The intense way these passages are staged lead one to believe they are the scenes that most engaged the interest of director Yates, who seems to relish the image of Harry and Hermione as nascent revolutionary leaders.

Similarly prominent are Harry's renewed relationship with his beloved godfather Sirius Black (Gary Oldman), hiding away in the secret family homestead in London, and his nightmarish visions of Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), with whom he increasingly feels a disturbingly strong connection. It gets so bad that he is forced to receive private tutoring from the dreaded Professor Snape, whose distaste for the task could not be more pronounced. Until shortly before the end, Snape has very little to do, but Alan Rickman may have outdone himself; seldom has an actor done more with less than he does here.

Climactic showdown between Harry's crew and Voldemort's henchmen, led by Lucius Malfoy (Jason Isaacs), is strikingly played out in a huge Ministry storeroom filled with shelved grapefruit-sized globes containing prophecies. One such sphere concerning Harry is of vital interest to Voldemort, and performing especially well on his behalf is Sirius' malignant cousin Bellatrix Lestrange, embodied by Helena Bonham Carter with a particularly maniacal glee.

It doesn't take much of a leap to connect the ill winds afflicting Hogwarts, along with the sweaty anticipation of inevitable conflict, with the present situation in the world at large. The metaphors are all implicit and have a lot to do with just growing up and facing unpleasant realities, but they increasingly contribute to the feeling of nervousness and unease creeping into the series. It will be interesting to see if general anticipation for the two remaining films holds fast or tails off once the epic series' conclusion is revealed in the final book.

Camera (Technicolor, JDC widescreen), Slawomir Idziak; editor, Mark Day; music, Nicholas Hooper; production designer, Stuart Craig; supervising art director, Neil Lamont; senior art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow; art directors, Mark Bartholomew, Alastair Bullock, Martin Schadler, Gary Tomkins, Alex Walker; set decorator, Stephenie McMillan; costume designer, Jany Temime; sound (Dolby Digital/DTS/SDDS), Stuart Wilson; supervising sound editor, James Mather; sound designer, Andy Kennedy; co-sound designer, James Boyle; re-recording mixers, Mike Prestwood Smith, Mark Taylor, Doug Cooper; visual effects supervisor, Tim Burke; special effects supervisor, John Richardson; special visual effects and animation, Industrial Light & Magic; visual effects, the Moving Picture Co., Framestore-CFC, Rising Sun Picture, Cinesite (Europe), Baseblack, Machine Effects; creature & makeup effects designer, Nick Dudman; stunt coordinator, Greg Powell; associate producer, Tim Lewis; assistant director, Cliff Lanning; second unit director, Stephen Woolfenden; second unit camera, Mike Brewster; casting, Fiona Weir. Reviewed at Warner Bros. studios, Burbank, June 28, 2007. MPAA Rating: PG-13. Running time: 139 MIN.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&r=VE1117934037&c=31
297733, New writer and a new director
Posted by SienaBlaze, Mon Jul-09-07 11:32 AM
I have reservations

Siena Blaze
http://www.myspace.com/sienablaze
297754, Wednesday IMAX check-in.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jul-09-07 12:19 PM
Posted by Michi, Mon Jul-09-07 01:29 PM
The SFX look bananas. It must be seen on IMAX. The best part of the IMAX experience is that there are fewer kids there.
298139, FUCK! All the IMAX showings except for 10 and 12 AM are SOLD OUT in NYC
Posted by Melanism, Tue Jul-10-07 07:49 AM
From tomorrow to Monday

-------------------
"Fuck yo couch, nigga!" - Tom Cruise

http://melanism.com
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/melanism
http://www.last.fm/user/Melanism/
298235, did you try Garden City?
Posted by SienaBlaze, Tue Jul-10-07 11:15 AM

Siena Blaze
298605, *pops collar*
Posted by Damali, Wed Jul-11-07 11:29 AM
i just got 1 ticket from some chick on craigslist. 830pm tonite! my kids are gonna be mad that i'm seeing it without them but whatever. i won't be interrupted for bathroom breaks.

d

poplock.blogspot.com
297759, does anyone else think the films really pale in comparison
Posted by Science_Fiction, Mon Jul-09-07 12:29 PM
to the books?
i did enjoy the last one, but im just saying.
297801, Yeah, pretty much
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-09-07 01:48 PM
I can barely watch the movies after I see them for the first time in the theaters.

However, I get the feeling that this movie will do the big fight scene at the end better than the book. But then again, Order of the Phoenix was my lease favorite book, aside from the climatic fight scene.
298319, I agree
Posted by SienaBlaze, Tue Jul-10-07 01:03 PM
The first 500 pages of the book were a complete waste of my time. That fight scene at the end better be potrayed well. I kind of hoped it would give the movie an R rating.

Siena Blaze
297871, I have to go see it by myself...
Posted by lovelyone80, Mon Jul-09-07 03:36 PM
will probably run past the theatre today though to see if they are selling tickets for sunday show. it's only $5 before noon, so I know parents are going to be out with the kids
298169, The reviews
Posted by J Fabuluz, Tue Jul-10-07 08:54 AM
are saying its the 1st movie to actually be better on on par with the book and im excited about that.
298404, I'm excited about seeing this film...
Posted by earthseed, Tue Jul-10-07 05:11 PM
I have a couple of people looking at me weird when I say this, but to hell with them.
298454, I saw it monday night.
Posted by cormon, Tue Jul-10-07 08:33 PM
The final battle scene was great. The movie overall was very good.
298491, I'm pissed that I couldn't make the midnight show. :(
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-10-07 10:25 PM
But my friend just bought a vaporizer, so we may go this weekend stoned out of our minds. :)
298514, I just got back from a theater in Burbank
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Jul-11-07 12:40 AM
They're showing the movie at 12:01 on 4 screens

All sold out

All have lines going around various corners of the buildings in the area

There were sizeable lines lining up around 5 PM for this jaunt

And there were many ladies with Harry Potter merchandise/homeade HP shirts

Didn't see many kids dressed as wizards or any shit like that
Posted by hilfger21, Wed Jul-11-07 11:52 AM
very good....

not my favorite of the series... but I like the direction its going towards....

the kids are getting older.... therefore the films are getting darker.........

the final battle scene is awesome

SPOILER!!!!!!

people went mad crazy when Harry had the makeout session... LOL

it was funny
298661, cats got problems with this
Posted by MisterGrump, Wed Jul-11-07 02:30 PM
that the stories are getting darker

But I actually like that about the movies(I haven't read the books)!!!
298616, the best HP movie to date
Posted by dkos22, Wed Jul-11-07 11:58 AM
go into the 12:10am showing at The Bridge in L.A. last night. We got to the theater at 10pm and there were already a ton of wizards and witches there in line.

my wife is married to me but in love with harry so she HAD to be there for the first showing. i'm not the biggest HP fan (have only read the first book but have seen all the films) but this film, by far, is the best of the franchise! much darker than the previous films and really well directed.

peace.
298682, RE: The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post
Posted by Abraham, Wed Jul-11-07 03:36 PM
Eventually I'm gonna' see this jawn... guess I'll just wait for the hype to die down a bit...
I couldn't wait for TF but this I think I can wait like a week or two..hahaa
298685, I liked the new Harold the Potna movie (n/m)
Posted by Allah, Wed Jul-11-07 03:44 PM
298694, what trailer was it + 10,000 BC (that fantasy trailer) oh yeah Stardust
Posted by Allah, Wed Jul-11-07 04:19 PM
what did y'all think of that one? Looks similar to the Golden Compass trailer ...........
298712, i liked the novel but i dunno about this movie thing
Posted by rob, Wed Jul-11-07 05:35 PM
it's the kind of book that imo would be impossible to do as a movie unless it got the lotr treatment, and the cast has a lot of reputation that would seem to make that less than possible.

we'll see.
298701, SERIOUSLY cant wait!
Posted by Ms_MynTight, Wed Jul-11-07 04:51 PM
n/m
Everybody's got a lil light unda the sun....
298728, It was okay, but something felt off (SPOILERS)
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Jul-11-07 06:54 PM
Like it just breezed through the story in order to get to the next chapter

In other words, Michael Goldenberg boiled the movie down to a setup for the next two

I guess what I'm really saying is the movie could have been just a smidge longer

Imelda Staunton was THEE SHIT, though

And the finale in IMAX 3D was DOPE, I had never experienced IMAX 3D before... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

These joints have been like the British All-Stars of Acting, it's fun to watch these "serious" actors inhabit this world with complete respect for it

'Twas okay
Posted by WhiteNotion, Wed Jul-11-07 09:39 PM
i thought kathryn hunter was killing it though. she stole the scene when harry was on trial. i thought staunton was better towards the end, but something was missing in the beginning. it may have been that she had to limit her development for the sake of keeping the movie short. i can't quite pinpoint it yet, but something was missing.

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/whitenotion/
298844, RE: It was okay, but something felt off (SPOILERS)
Posted by 2nd2Nun, Thu Jul-12-07 10:00 AM
>Like it just breezed through the story in order to get to the
>next chapter
>
>In other words, Michael Goldenberg boiled the movie down to a
>setup for the next two
>
>I guess what I'm really saying is the movie could have been
>just a smidge longer
>

My sentiments exactly. It felt like there wasn't enough "warmth" or "depth" to the characters this time around. I'm sure it was hard to fit everything in but it was kind of a bummer. I wish they could have split the story into two movie intervals.

But, overally, I thought it was done really well. I liked this director's vision and thought he did a really good job. And the kids (besides Draco) are really coming around acting-wise.
298853, on Draco:
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-12-07 10:47 AM
in the actor's defence, so far, that character has been very one-dimensional...so there hasn't been much range of emotion for him to play. He hates Harry. That's the beginning and end of who he is at this point in the series. so what is an actor to do?

But the next book, Half-Blood Prince, Malfoy has a huge and complex story in it... and then we will really get to see what this actor is made of.

d

poplock.blogspot.com
298903, you're right
Posted by 2nd2Nun, Thu Jul-12-07 02:04 PM
Very true. He doesn't have much to work with. #6 will be interesting to see him where he has to really have a character with some substance now.
300060, RE: It was okay, but something felt off (SPOILERS)
Posted by tappenzee, Tue Jul-17-07 08:31 AM
>
>Imelda Staunton was THEE SHIT, though

Was that the blonde chick? She was hilarious, great little actor there.

>
>And the finale in IMAX 3D was DOPE, I had never experienced
>IMAX 3D before... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Yeah that whole scene with all the globes on the shelves looked amazing in 3-D. I did feel a little silly and from the 1980's wearing the glasses, but I got over it quickly.
300122, Imelda Staunton played Dolores Umbridge.
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Jul-17-07 11:33 AM
But I thought the little girl was loopily good as well
Posted by tappenzee, Wed Jul-18-07 02:49 PM
Did anyone else think she looked an awful lot like Laura Bush?
298761, well,
Posted by Invisiblist, Wed Jul-11-07 09:35 PM
this was the first one that was really hurt from not being long enough.

The other ones made decisions that left fan favorite moments out, but still mostly got the point across. I'm okay with things getting changed, as long as the feel is still the same.

This shit fit too many fan moments in but lost the feel.

I WILL say, however, that the chick the played Umbridge OWNS the character more than anyone else in the series owns their character. Umbridge was......man, all I can say is she better get nominated at minimum.

This was the first one that convinced me that Radcliffe can have a real career after the series is over.

It's obvious that Luna is the real Love interest. Notice how in EVERY scene she and Cho are RIGHT NEXT to each other.

The kiss was fuckin terrible. I know Radcliffe is getting hoes. This is unacceptable, Daniel. You can't choke on camera, dude.

The fight scene with the kids missed the fucking point.

The fight scene with Voldemort vs. Dumbledore was 10x as good as the book.

The end.
298879, RE: well,
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-12-07 01:00 PM
>this was the first one that was really hurt from not being
>long enough.

well, i think we knew that going in because the book was 800+ pages

>The other ones made decisions that left fan favorite moments
>out, but still mostly got the point across. I'm okay with
>things getting changed, as long as the feel is still the same.

same

>This shit fit too many fan moments in but lost the feel.

i agree

>I WILL say, however, that the chick the played Umbridge OWNS
>the character more than anyone else in the series owns their
>character. Umbridge was......man, all I can say is she better
>get nominated at minimum.

Definitely. I hated her in the book, and it translated perfectly to the movie. It was niggas in the audience like "damn I hope she die"

>This was the first one that convinced me that Radcliffe can
>have a real career after the series is over.

I agree

>It's obvious that Luna is the real Love interest. Notice how
>in EVERY scene she and Cho are RIGHT NEXT to each other.

Luna was a nut. I think the director ran the love triangle wrong because IIRC, in the books, it's fairly clear Harry likes Cho

>The kiss was fuckin terrible. I know Radcliffe is getting
>hoes. This is unacceptable, Daniel. You can't choke on camera,
>dude.

HELL YEAH

>The fight scene with the kids missed the fucking point.

How?

>The fight scene with Voldemort vs. Dumbledore was 10x as good
>as the book.

Definitely. This is the biggest advantage the movies have over the books is the visualization.

>The end.
298788, just got back from seeing it. best one yet, i think
Posted by bobbyjames, Wed Jul-11-07 11:49 PM
298816, RE: just got back from seeing it. best one yet, i think
Posted by J Fabuluz, Thu Jul-12-07 07:27 AM
Thats what im talking about I can't wait to see it this weekend
298910, this one and Prisoner of Azkaban are my favorites
Posted by bobbyjames, Thu Jul-12-07 02:27 PM
298820, some things i noticed:
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-12-07 07:58 AM
-Radcliffe, Watson and Grint seem to have developed a harder-edged English accent as they've gotten older. their inflections made me have to work a bit harder to understand them. the same with that boy that plays Seamus...i loved how his Irish accent was a stark contrast to the others.

-the filmmakers/editors don't seem to be doing a very good job at deciding exactly how big Hagrid is in relation to the others. In some shots, he's only a foot or so bigger than the kids, in others, he completely dwarfs them. They need to do a better job with the editing for his character.

-they need to hurry and finish the films before some of the older actors start dying. I'm a bit worried for Maggie Smith. she looked kinda sickly

-did Petunia always dress like a dimestore slut? her wardrobe just seemed so out of place

d

poplock.blogspot.com
298880, My girlfriend said the same thing about Maggie
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-12-07 01:01 PM
298951, Seamus is Scottish, not Irish.
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Jul-12-07 05:06 PM
Yeah, I couldn't understand half of what Ron said, which sucks because I'm sure it was funny.
298954, thanks. I always get those two mixed up
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-12-07 05:09 PM
i'm sure if i had Scottish and/or Irish friends, i'd learn the difference. but, alas.

d

poplock.blogspot.com
298958, don't worry
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Jul-12-07 05:16 PM
I only know for certain because I know Scotland is who he pulls for in the world cup.
300118, no, he's Irish
Posted by Michi, Tue Jul-17-07 11:15 AM
I wiki'd it. The actor and the character are both Irish.
298865, i enjoyed it
Posted by zero, Thu Jul-12-07 11:48 AM
i'm by no means a big harry potter fan, have not read any books, and only saw one movie and thats because it was directed by cuaron. that said, i liked this movie quite a bit. the special effects were mostly on-point and weren't distractingly plastic too often, but thats a minor quibble.

does anyone else think its funny how these movies seem to be single-handedly employing the bulk of british character actors? i mean, they've casted everyone except for the people that were in lord of the rings (the ians mcholm and mckellan, for two examples) but they do a good job reppin' everybody else: ralph fiennes, brendan gleeson, imelda staunton, david thewlis, emma thompson, etc. hell, they even cast warwick freakin' davis!
298877, I read somewhere
Posted by SienaBlaze, Thu Jul-12-07 12:56 PM
probably wikipedia that Rowling sold the rights to the movie with the condition that only British actors are cast in the roles

Siena Blaze
298868, mixed feelings
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Jul-12-07 12:07 PM
order of the phoenix is my least favorite book in the series. it's the first time i had serious doubts about whether or not the final book would be a pay off for all the time i've invested as a reader into the series. i started wondering if j.k. could pull it off.

within the first 10 minutes, i found that i liked the movie a lot more than i liked book 5. to me, the movie sorta helps the book out. i eavesdropped on two guys sitting in front of me at the movies last night. guy #1 told guy #2 that he was skeptical about the movie because he didn't think goldberg could tell the story better than rowling. in some respects, i think he does, especially when it comes down to portraying the "bigger picture" struggle between good and evil.

i definitely missed different things from the book, which suprised me. in a weird way, i think that's a credit to the screenwriter and director and not the book. anyhow, i doubt that i'd enjoy a movie that was more faithful to book 5.

my opinion about movie 5 ends up being my opinion about book 5, just for different reasons: i like the series so i'm gonna enjoy it regardless but i'm not feeling story 5 in the first place, in a way that makes me not care too much about why i feel that way...so my plan is to wait for the next installment and hope it's not more of the same thing while i wonder if any of this has to do with rowling being so-so in the storytelling department.

298870, what did you think of book 6?
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-12-07 12:30 PM

poplock.blogspot.com
299011, RE: what did you think of book 6?
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Jul-12-07 09:33 PM
it's my favorite book besides book four. rowling delivers when it comes suspense, adventure, and suprise. plus, i got to use my imagination a lot. it was a fun read all the way through and i wanted to be thrilled and i was. i like that life and choices get more complicated for some of the characters, too. malfoy and voldy were interesting developments. so was the romance stuff. it'd be cool if malfoy makes a choice at a crucial time to break ranks so that he ends up helping harry in book 7.

i became more ok with feeling that rowling doesn't have the chops to write marathon books. i think that's related to how come i don't get geeked as much as some of my friends do about the appearance and use of clues/evidence in the series. they take it too far in a way that i don't think is warranted. it's fun, though. i decided that the books are more suspense/thriller/clever than mystery. the upside is that i think she handled the challenges that come with writing a book that long much better than she did in book 5. in preparation for book 7, i'm fully prepared to ignore her writing style because i simply want to enjoy the ride.
298878, This was my least favorite of the books, but the movie was alright
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-12-07 12:56 PM
The final battle was pretty good. But this movie/book doesn't hold a candle to the 4th.
298956, wrong reply.
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Jul-12-07 05:14 PM
298896, Question For Those Who Saw It (spoilers I guess)
Posted by Melanism, Thu Jul-12-07 01:31 PM
So Quint from AICN reported this from the Harry Potter press conference a little bit ago (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33120):

**Finally, the big tidbit that got all the Harry Potter geeks mumbling in hushed whispers to each other. In the original draft of the screenplay for ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, they had decided to remove a character from the story. Rowling read over the screenplay and said “I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” that they were free to do whatever they liked, of course, but “if you make a 7th movie you’ll have tied your hands.”

Heyman wouldn’t reveal who that character was and all the Potter nerds (myself included) were debating the point afterwards. Theories included Grawp, Luna and Bellatrix. Luna might be a possibility, but I thought it might be extra tricky of them if they meant James Potter, who we see in a flashback (those that have read the book know what part).

Did Heyman mean that the scene was important or the character itself? Hrmmm…**

-----

So who do you think it was: Grawp? Kreacher?
-------------------

298904, oooooh that's juicy!!! (spoilers)
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-12-07 02:06 PM
well my guess would be Luna. Her character served no real purpose in the film other than to explain to Harry about vestrals. So i could see why the screenwriter might have wanted to cut her. It definitely wasn't Bellatrix cuz she factors heavily into book/movie 6. And Grawp...hm. maybe it's him. ok so i say its either one of those 2.

d

poplock.blogspot.com
298957, Luna is probably going to be the main love interest
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Jul-12-07 05:16 PM
before the whole shit is over.

Notice how they barely gave Ginny any time.

Notice how Luna had EXTRA scenes that weren't in the book.

Notice how they had Luna RIGHT NEXT TO CHO in every fuckin scene they were in together.

Hm............
299013, luna had too big of a part in the movie
Posted by WhiteNotion, Thu Jul-12-07 09:59 PM
for them to even consider cutting her. i imagine it was a smaller character in the movie.

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/whitenotion/
298907, Kreacher?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-12-07 02:12 PM
I mean, I dont think there's been a movie house-elf since the 2nd movie. Also, Kreacher could help them figure out who RAB is.
298921, According to wikipedia...
Posted by _Ignorance_Is_Venemous_, Thu Jul-12-07 03:21 PM
it's Kreacher

"Kreacher, the former Black Family house elf which passed to Harry's ownership with the death of Sirius Black, may make an appearance. Rowling told the filmmakers of Order of the Phoenix to include the character in the movie, because he is "very important", after they had omitted him in a draft of the script."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_7

^^some good stuff on there
298964, it's gotta be Kreacher. I'll tell you why.
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Jul-12-07 05:27 PM
Kreacher
knows
EVERYTHING.

Kreacher knows the locations of all the horcruxes, I'm sure.

i 'll only get into it if you guys really want me too, but I figured out (as I'm sure others have) that kreacher assisted Regulus Black (who HAS to be RAB) in fuckin' with those horcruxes.

I'll say this: if you've read book six, when Harry and Dumbledore go across the zombie lake, Albus tells Harry it's a clever trap because two people HAVE to go, not one, but that the boat will detect two WIZARDS.

He basically says that both he and Harry could get in the boat because technically Harry isn't a wizard yet, and isn't powerful enough to be detected by the boat.

Since I'm sure Regulus was the one setting the traps, we can reasonably assume that Kreacher was his assistant. Why?

Because there was a motherfucking horcrux in the Black house in book 5. YUP. Hanging from a mirror.

Look it up. I did. I control+f'd my was to this deduction using pdf files of the books. lol
298967, You mean the locket?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-12-07 05:46 PM
300198, yeah, the locket that wasn't at the bottom of the bowl.
Posted by Latina212, Tue Jul-17-07 03:01 PM

|latina212|

be fluid~~~
be water~~~
299021, very very nice.
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-12-07 10:44 PM
and now that Harry is Kreacher's master, if he asks the right questions, he'll get the right answers. Kreacher HAS to tell him. wow.

i can't wait for this book!!!!!

d

poplock.blogspot.com
299157, Could be Bellatrix (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Jul-13-07 12:38 PM
"I've been employed (already) for the last (movie). So I guess I figure in the seventh book. J.K. Rowling said Bellatrix's role was going to be significant in the last one, when I showed some reluctance in playing a tiny bit part. (Cackles) Up front, they said, ''You're very significant in the last one.'' But significant could mean a lot of things. That could just mean a significant plot point. Doesn't necessarily equal big part."

Helena Bonham Carter
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jul-13-07 12:52 PM
...she did the single most important thing in the book.
299168, I forgot to give you some context regarding her above comments
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Jul-13-07 12:56 PM
She was playfully complaining to the interviewer about the fact that her one-on-one battle with Sirius had been cut out of the movie, and that David Yates had chosen a blander take of something else. Her commentary above is more of an oh, well, Rowling told me I've got a more important role in the 7th book. So, even though she does one major thing here, she apparently is going to do bigger, more major things in book 7.

And she's barely in the final cut of this movie... I'd almost forgotten she was in it until they cut to Azkaban...
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jul-13-07 09:03 PM
299072, RE: The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post
Posted by Stryfe, Fri Jul-13-07 03:32 AM
sooooooooooooooooooooo much better then goblet of fire its ridiculous...

even with leaving out 3/4 of the book, and changing some things around..this is aa great movie..if u dont know about the stuff your missing u dont miss it..
only 2 fuck ups in the entire movie(and both are near the end of the movie)

but on the real....didnt the weasly boys steal that W shit from wu-tang clan?
299181, i don't agree
Posted by xangeluvr, Fri Jul-13-07 01:17 PM
Azkaban and GoF are my faves. this one lacked any real "feeling" to me. it was good, but just seemed emotionless to me.

>sooooooooooooooooooooo much better then goblet of fire its
>ridiculous...
>
>even with leaving out 3/4 of the book, and changing some
>things around..this is aa great movie..if u dont know about
>the stuff your missing u dont miss it..
>only 2 fuck ups in the entire movie(and both are near the end
>of the movie)
>
>
>but on the real....didnt the weasly boys steal that W shit
>from wu-tang clan?
299348, hated gof witha passion
Posted by Stryfe, Sat Jul-14-07 05:43 AM
>Azkaban and GoF are my faves. this one lacked any real
>"feeling" to me. it was good, but just seemed emotionless to
>me.
>
>
>>sooooooooooooooooooooo much better then goblet of fire its
>>ridiculous...
>>
>>even with leaving out 3/4 of the book, and changing some
>>things around..this is aa great movie..if u dont know about
>>the stuff your missing u dont miss it..
>>only 2 fuck ups in the entire movie(and both are near the
>end
>>of the movie)
>>
>>
>>but on the real....didnt the weasly boys steal that W shit
>>from wu-tang clan?
>

fom the rappy editting to leaving out enitre chapters to making no sense whatsoever to the happy happy joy joy ending
If i hadn't read the book, GOF would've left me with a lot of questions and very few answers
299262, Good but not the best
Posted by Michi, Fri Jul-13-07 05:58 PM
VENT:
I didn't care for the new feel. I don't know whether to blame the screenwriter or the director, but it dragged between Harry's first punishment from Umbridge and the first practice of Dumbledore's army. Also, the romances were seemed to clobber me over the head except for Harry and Cho and they were the main couple.

I wanted more of the Snape memory. I really wanted to see Lilly get mad at James and show Harry that both parents weren't so perfect.

THE GOOD:
-Imelda Staunton was great! I loved that scene with her and Maggie Smith on the stairs.
-Helena Bonham Carter was really good, too. She didn't have many lines but if you ever need someone to play batshit crazy, she's your woman.-The girl who played Luna was really good even though the screenwriter made her seem like a bit of a Mary Sue. In the book she seemed more straight-up cuckoo.
- I love IMAX because I can focus on stupid little details like in the last scene Neville was wearing what looked like a baby blue Member's Only jacket or the earring Luna was wearing.
-The fight between Dumbledore and LV was wonderful. I usually don't like stream of power vs. stream of power fights but they added some great new elements to it.
299341, i wasn't to thrillied about this one...
Posted by dunk, Sat Jul-14-07 12:36 AM
..the editing seemed awkward

the stuff left ot of this one bothered me as well

i mean, i can understand that i you have to take stuff out but this one felt emotionless and they seem to take the lie out of the story when cutting out the sub plots from the book.

Ron and Hermoine felt very underused in this one, with Neville and Luna standing out more than them. it just felt awkward.

GOF and Askaban have been the best to me so far.
299358, just how i felt
Posted by xangeluvr, Sat Jul-14-07 10:43 AM
especially with ron and hermoine, seemed like they weren't in it at all.

>..the editing seemed awkward
>
>the stuff left ot of this one bothered me as well
>
>i mean, i can understand that i you have to take stuff out but
>this one felt emotionless and they seem to take the lie out of
>the story when cutting out the sub plots from the book.
>
>Ron and Hermoine felt very underused in this one, with Neville
>and Luna standing out more than them. it just felt awkward.
>
>GOF and Askaban have been the best to me so far.
299476, I liked it until the end (Spoilers)
Posted by SienaBlaze, Sat Jul-14-07 10:40 PM
I liked the movie. I felt it flowed well and they took the important parts of the story. It can't be easy to write a script from a book that is 805 pages.

What I didn't like
The end. Please correct me if I'm wrong but after Harry had the vision of Sirrius at didn't Kreacher tell him that Sirrius was in danger?
I hated how the killed him it was so anti climatic. I also wished they had left Wormtail in it. I expected the fight at the end to be better than it was even though some parts of it were good.

They changed the scene with Harry seeing Snape's memories. I haven't read the book in a while but what I thought happens is Harry jumps into Snapes' pensive. Why change that?

Siena Blaze
299843, I actually liked how they handled it (spoilers)
Posted by Melanism, Mon Jul-16-07 01:44 PM
When I read Sirus' death in the book, it happened so fast, I actually missed it and had to go back.
-------------------

299546, didn't like it.
Posted by shygurl, Sun Jul-15-07 12:17 PM
Easily the worst movie of the potter series. I know they had to condense a lot of book into only 2 hours, but the movie just moved awkwardly to me. I didn't mind the darkness of the movie, the atmosphere matched the book imo, but seemingly major aspects of the book were passed over. One bright spot for me is Umbridge, I thought whomever played her got her dead on, but there was nothing in particular beyond that stood out to me.
299637, Not a good stand-alone, but good for the series
Posted by KingMonte, Sun Jul-15-07 08:53 PM
I don't read the books and I understand some potentially cool shit got cut, but as a strictly movie Potter fan, I liked it.
299679, I think this is the best movie so far. ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that...
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jul-15-07 11:37 PM
...this is my least favorite book. For sure. They cut a LOT of unnecessary stuff that Rowling adds for flavor that simply wouldn't work in a movie.

Radcliffe is becoming an actual actor. The special effects were pretty damn great. And what else can you say about that final fight scene?

It exceeded my expectation. This Yates guy has me excited for the next movie for sure.
299683, I was dragged into seeing this
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-15-07 11:44 PM
not having watched any Harry Potter movie in its entirety (something I was quite proud of), I didn't know anything about any characters/storyline.

it was actually pretty good. like a modern Chronicles of Narnia or LOTR (the books). now I wanna add the rest to my Netflix (dammit).

the people I saw it with said it sucked compared to the others, so *shrug*
300016, RE: I was dragged into seeing this SPOILER!!!!!!!
Posted by Abraham, Tue Jul-17-07 12:29 AM
on a weekend too... This is why I NEVER see movies on the weekend...
People be pissing me off man... this fucking lady would NOT take her crying baby outta' the theater for like an hour... got people getting up & having their spring loaded chairs bang back & forth all loud... PLUS I had this fucking 15 year old who knew like EVERYTHING that was gonna' happen BEFORE it happened.. so he spoiled the whole Serious dying thing for me...
That was before we schooled his ass.. dam I hate that kid.
Sorry.. had to vent.
Anyway, I liked the movie... if things didn't keep taking me out of it then I'm sure I would have liked it more. But I missed whole sections cuz' of babies & puberty.
I gotta' see it again when the hype dies down.
300055, LOL at Serious Black!!!!!
Posted by BigWorm, Tue Jul-17-07 07:55 AM
Okay I think I'm officially changing my name.

300249, 3rd movie > 5th movie > 4th movie > 1st 2 movies
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jul-17-07 06:24 PM
But Harry Potter's acting is much better in this one than in the other 4.
300826, Agree and agree
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu Jul-19-07 05:25 PM
The worst part about this one was the pacing, but then the book suffered from similar problems. I wish they hadn't messed with the ending though. It would have been nice for them to keep in the part where Dumbledore breaks down the prophecy for Harry and to explicitly show that Trewlaney was the one who made the prophecy. I think the prophecy needed to be played up just a bit more. It's a pretty central point in Half Blood Prince.
300220, RE: The Official Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix post
Posted by deacon, Tue Jul-17-07 04:10 PM
Good movie, but the final battle was a bit wordy for me. I am just looking forward to the final battle in Movie No. 7
300319, did you guys notice dumbledore as the bartender???
Posted by Latina212, Tue Jul-17-07 09:37 PM
in the book once harry walks in and sees the bartender
it states that he has a feeling he knows that person
but doesn't know from where

the bartender was played by dumbledore

|latina212|

be fluid~~~
be water~~~
300415, huh? you mean at the first d.a. meeting?
Posted by 2nd2Nun, Wed Jul-18-07 10:06 AM
Man, I missed that one.
300664, whoa. i didn't notice that at all
Posted by Damali, Thu Jul-19-07 08:52 AM
and i just saw it a 2nd time :(

d

poplock.blogspot.com
301068, they are listed as diff actors in the credits
Posted by JBoogs, Fri Jul-20-07 10:50 AM

Livin in a system - pagan
Every time you get pay - pay gone

Every Sunday come them gone – altar
Preacher know the truth is what they – alter
301397, it's Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth, not Albus...
Posted by JBoogs, Fri Jul-20-07 10:19 PM

Livin in a system - pagan
Every time you get pay - pay gone

Every Sunday come them gone – altar
Preacher know the truth is what they – alter
302416, up
Posted by janey, Tue Jul-24-07 02:04 PM

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer
302428, this is about the movie.
Posted by unity, Tue Jul-24-07 02:10 PM
thanks though.

---
THE FAM:
http://www.marka27.com
http://www.biz20.biz
http://www.myspace.com/blackoutboston
http://www.myspace.com/indigginus

*CLIMATE CRISIS: reduce your impact!*
http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/index.html