Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA couple problems with his argument **spoilers galore**
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=294552&mesg_id=296882
296882, A couple problems with his argument **spoilers galore**
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu Jul-05-07 12:31 PM
One. Yes Remy had an "advanced" palette that he seemed to be gifted with. But he also had a natural inclination towards experimenting. And he also read Gusteau's book. Gusteau's apparition mentioned that several times in the film. So it seems to me that Bird is saying it helps to both have training and natural talent/ability.

Two. The big knock on Colette wasn't that she wasn't "gifted" it's that she had no sense of adventure or experimentation. Look at all the great people throughout history. Many of them had obvious natural talents, but they were able to combine that with a desire to push boundaries. You can be a very good cook just by following what has been done before you, but to be a great cook you have to experiment. Like in most fields.

I think the film is more about having the courage to follow your own path and experiment than about having "special talents". Toward the end of the film when Remy is having a crisis of identity he realizes that he's constantly torn between being a "rat" for his family and being the "little chef" for Linguini. But he's neither of those things: he's a cook, because he loves to cook. He's doing what he loves and stays true to his heart in the process. To me that's more what Bird was trying to convey.

You are what you love to do.