Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Surfer was PERFECT.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=291343&mesg_id=292367
292367, The Surfer was PERFECT.
Posted by Voodoochilde, Mon Jun-18-07 08:33 PM
absolutely perfect. they captured everything that made him so cool in the comics when he first appeared. My wife who knows nothing of the comics history came out saying 'the surfer was AWESOME'

kudos to them for that.

i wanted MORE surfer though. i wish the movie was longer OR wish they would have split the story into two movies and had this one give us MORE surfer and the NEXT one give us the Galactus epic...

jessica alba is the female keanue reeves acting wise...ugh.

I really liked the movie. for the most part, It gave me what i wanted. The FF comic on the screen with all its quirky goofyness, a cool ass Surfer and an ominous Galactus (though the actual Galactus portion was wayyyy too short of a resolution. Like i said that should have been longer or handled in a sequel movie). I actually didn't mind the Galactus representation at all. I actually LIKED it the way he was not 'really' seen, but only glimpsed or inferred. To me that made him even more ominous and 'god like'. had he been a LITERAL pull from the comics ( big guy in a purple skirt ) i actually think that would have been tough to pull off and would have had far less of a 'scary end of the earth' feel like the 'engulfing cloud with glimpses of the entity beneath' did. No disrespect meant to the source material at all (which i am a huge fan of, back when i collected comics seriously FF's #48, 49 & 50 were the top shelf most PRIZED possesions in my collection), but in the modern day and in the movie medium the big skirted guy with a G on his chest would not have come accross to well no matter what special effects you have at your disposal. So I think they made the right choices in the movie as as far as that goes...

on the whole a fun, kick back and enjoy it, summer popcorn movie that doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't disespect the source material.

it was wayyyy better than Spidey 3 (which was all over the place storywise/source materialwise, and quirky in the WRONG places.)

and did i mention...the Surfer kicked ASS? PEFECTLY executed!