Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectmmm. maybe.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=290990&mesg_id=292528
292528, mmm. maybe.
Posted by jane eyre, Tue Jun-19-07 12:32 PM
there's an element of fantasy-make-believe in the madea series. the audience has to make a leap into madea world in order for things to be plausible. certain rules (ex: attractive men) are in play when it comes to madea world and as a viewer, you either accept them or you don't. obviously, madea world isn't real life. you've pointed out a few reasons why it's not reality. i think everyone understands that it's not real life, even if only on a subconscious level. i don't think that the fantastic elements of the stories make the instructive value of them idealistic.

>All three of his films were surrounding a love story, the man
>involved is always perfect in any way.

i wouldn't go that far. i'd say that the men in the romantic roles aren't perfect in every way, but in the ways that count. they apparently have an interest in treating women with respect.

instructive: recognize the bad. recognize the good.
instructive: bad "acts" this way. good "acts" this way.
instructive: people can choose bad or good.
instructive: are you choosing bad or good?
instructive: choose good.

the goodness of the male characters has nothing to do with their looks and everything to do with their actions. the bad male characters aren't exactly ugly, either. the attractive male phenomena is part of what happens in madea world. it's a device...but it's also another chance to instruct: appearances can be deceiving so it's important to be able to recognize good and bad.

grant it, maybe there are some women who may come away from the films believing that there's a connection between a guy's ability to show goodness with their money and looks. maybe the stories encourage shallow mating preferences and unreasonable amounts of wish-fulfillment and lots of trouble for the guy who ends up dating a black woman with such silly ideas filling her head. maybe. but there doesn't seem to be anything in the films to suggest that women should focus their energies on finding a man who's hot or rich/hot and rich. in fact, some of the women in the stories who use the "sexy w/ a bank account" screening method end up being quite unhappy.

at any rate, i don't think it's an idealistic viewpoint that women should protect themselves and learn how to choose mates who demonstrate good qualities. is the lesson presented in a hokey, corny, manner? yes.

>Shemar Moore, Boris
>Kudjoe and Idris Elba were all blue collar workers with a
>heart of gold and near the end the woman gets a brain and
>decides to deal with the dude who in real life wouldn't get
>play from the women that support the film.

then maybe people aren't getting the moral of the story!

but then again, maybe it's the second rate presentation that makes the moral of the story un-seeable and easily misunderstood.

>Its a Sesame Street
>lesson for grown black women and Madea is Big Bird.

the simplicity/transparency of the story lines don't bother me. children don't always get solid moral instruction and they grow up to become adults who make decisions without the benefit of it. simplicity is a very effective way to build up people's confidence with the basics. what bothers me is that the storylines are developed in a way that makes any kind of message seem trite.