Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectkind of reminds me of this art director I knew
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=289713&mesg_id=290268
290268, kind of reminds me of this art director I knew
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Jun-11-07 10:36 PM
Most metro-cosmo-urbane-foodie-music snob you could ever meet.

Will not shut up about how much he loves Legally Blonde.

I think it's an interesting thing when this happens, though I still stand by my original point that perhaps we don't know these people as well as we suspect...

We could just write it off as a "Dif'rent strokes" type of thing, but there might be more to it than that.

In my experience, I find that movies are one of the lesser fashionable aspects of pop culture. I mean to say our "cool" is often defined by the clothes we wear and the music we listen to. It's what separates the "us" from the "them." Movies generally do the opposite... it brings us all together in a big dark room to commune. I don't know why this is exactly. Early in life we learn that "Movies are fun"... and it's one of those rare childhood lessons we don't seem to un-learn.

Think about high school... you hung out with the people who liked what you liked. Generally they dressed sort of like you and had similar tastes in music. And you learned to divide yourselves from other cliques based on those qualities. But come Friday night, EVERYBODY was going to see the same shitty ass blockbusters. From the preps to the jocks to the food court thugs and hippies and everything in between. You might get clowned for your clothes or your music but nobody's gonna chide your ass for going to see Pulp Fiction. Well, there is this one guy...

On one hand I like this about movies because it unites us. On the other hand, it seems like very few of us ever learn to think critically about movies. Not that you have to think critically about movies... but damn, at least equip yourself with the option. I'm all for the "turn your brain off" approach to movie going, but it helps to flick a switch every now and then.

Maybe it has to do with a bystander factor. With music, someone can roll by and hear what you're listening to. With fashion, people see what you are wearing. But very rarely do passers by see you watching a movie. So maybe movies are like this pure thing that you do solely for you and not for show (Luckily the internet got invented so we can flaunt this, too). Maybe they are truer representations of our character than other forms of entertainment?

Now maybe I'm the one painting with too broad a brush. Or maybe I'm just completely wrong. But I do think there's a reason that this sort of thing happens.