Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthis is a really good point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=289713&mesg_id=289794
289794, this is a really good point
Posted by BigWorm, Mon Jun-11-07 08:01 AM
I remember talking to a friend of mine that's a translator. He told me about how he goes to conferences a lot, meets a lot of great older guys that are fluent in several languages, accredited, award winning--but when he tried to talk books with some of them, he found out that in their leisure time a lot of them read John Grisham and Dan Brown.

At the same time I've met people who kept a strict diet of the classics as far as literature goes, but when it came to movies they were all about whatever the box office hit of the day was. I just didn't know what to think when a few years ago this friend of bio-chemist friend of mine (no joke) was swearing up and down that The Punisher (the one with John Travolta) was the movie to see.

And at this point, even if I did meet someone that both liked more intellectual films AND books, it probably means that they rock out to Jack Johnson, Avril Lavigne or Kayne, or just whatever's on the radio at the time.

That's just how it goes. Being smart and well-grounded in one subject doesn't mean you're just in general the type of person that goes for intellectual stuff.

At the same time...I don't know...isn't there also that level of film snobbery where you don't even rule out the Spiderman 3's and Pirates of the Carribean 3's anymore?

There has to be. Cause I'm probably a film snob, and I know for a fact that if I knew somebody had seen ever Tarkovsky film out there but hadn't seen National Lampoon's Vacation or Raiders of the Lost Ark I would still think, this person doesn't know shit.