Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThere are certain mindless action movies that I love.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=287687&mesg_id=287977
287977, There are certain mindless action movies that I love.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-04-07 06:17 PM
This isn't really one of them.

My problem with it is after the first car chase, you go "Whoa!" After the fifth car chase, you go "yawn." It piles it on and piles it on, but doesn't necessarily make the action scene THAT much more impressive. Instead of moving forward, it seemed to just kind of stack in a stagnant way.

Also, I prefer my buddy flicks where their fights are banter-y, not I'm-gonna-swear-at-you-and-get-seriously-mad-constantly fights. Again, it didn't seem to progress. They fought, fought, fought, fought, "shit just got real," reconciliation.

For my money, Point Break is a lot sillier and more fun than Bad Boys 2, if you're going for "Hot Fuzz" referenced mindless action films. Granted, it's quote unquote worse, but I have more fun with those. There's really good action movies, and sit and enjoy with a buddy silly mindless action movies. I feel like Bad Boys 2 kinda should be the latter, but at times fought towards wanting to be the former.

That being said, by overthinking this, I'm negating my whole "I like mindless action movies" thing. LOL, Nick is right to a degree. The problem is when is it okay for a film to be mindless fun, and when does it need to be good? What's that fine line? I don't really think Bad Boys 2 toes it.

Wanna see a REALLY preposterous but really fun Michael Bay movie? I like The Island. Although it stars your glum mouth-breathing sex kitten, Scarlett Johannson. But Ewan MacGregor, Steve Buscemi, and Sean Bean might make up for it.

Also, if you want to go even FURTHER into silliness, there is NO sillier Michael Bay film than Con Air, starring Nicholas Cage, John Cusack, and John Malkovich. It is silly with a capital S. It also, in the right viewing environment, can be a really great time.