Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: First: _what_ Smokey Robinson songs?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=287234&mesg_id=287983
287983, RE: First: _what_ Smokey Robinson songs?
Posted by Andre Leon, Mon Jun-04-07 06:30 PM
hey...

first, i wanna say it was never my intention to put words in your mouth, so if that's what came across then i apologize. i also think that sometimes we type things with a certain tenor in our heads but shit comes off more biting than intended when read...

but a correction i would make in your info is that smokey wrote one of my favorite early supremes songs "breathtaking guy" and produced one of my supremes guilty pleasures, "long gone lover," so his input on the trio goes beyond "the composer," which i loathe.

also, my big problem with just the music of "dreamgirls" ('cause i got lots beyond that) is that if they were gonna broaden the musical palette and go beyond the more traditional b'way feel of the original show tunes (which i'm actually a big fan of), then they could have at least tried to be more era-accurate with what they came up with. "listen" is just contemporary dreck, a horrible fit for the movie's time-frame, while "love you i do" is -- to me -- a weak approximation of the era they were going for. but then, i ain't a big fan of the cockroach of the music industry, siedah garrett. respect her hustle and homegirl is always on the grind, going on 40 or 50 years now. but i mean, drag nick ashford's ass from the chair of his weaveologist and have him and val write some shit. ain't at least 2/3 of holland-dozier-holland still alive? they ain't doing shit... hell, if amy winehouse can do it, i know those old pros still got it in them.

and beyonce cannot act. end of story. gorgeous and insanely fuckable, but otherwise useless.