Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectFirst: _what_ Smokey Robinson songs?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=287234&mesg_id=287576
287576, First: _what_ Smokey Robinson songs?
Posted by Nukkapedia, Mon Jun-04-07 08:02 AM
Smokey only wrote and produced one (1) top 40 single for the Diana Ross-led Supremes: "The Composer", which is not considered among the Supremes' (or Smokey's) best works.

Second, yes, I'm specifically talking about the Supremes' (numerous) Broadway recordings, namely "Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform 'Funny Girl'", their Copacabana live recordings, and most of the showtunes they sung on network television in addition to their hits. Some of those are pretty out there as far as a Broadway sound goes (I don't mean that in a bad way at all; they're all actually very good recordings). And I never said the recordings _equaled_ "Disney on Ice". I said "sounds more like". Don't put words in my mouth.

And as far as the new songs, I understand your point with two of the four. "Listen" was...well, "Listen". "Patience" only works within the context of the film; I'm prone to skip it when listening to the soundtrack. And "Perfect World" is too inconsequential to critique.

On the other hand, "Love You I Do" is one my favorite songs in the "Dreamgirls" canon. You can't front on Siedah Garrett.