Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMy Passion of the Christ experience
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=285998&mesg_id=286386
286386, My Passion of the Christ experience
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed May-30-07 01:56 PM
...Which I may have posted before, but what the hell.

I don't know if this was common practice everywhere, but down in the good ol' Bible Belt it was common practice for entire church congregations to rent out entire theaters for "private" screenings. So, you know, they'd all show up in the church bus, pile into a theater, watch the movie, have a quick sermon, with popcorn, and holy roll out.

One such congregation had rented out the theater my wife and I happened to be sitting in, unbeknownst to us. It became evident once the movie had ended, and a man jumped out in front of the rolling credits with a bible and a Steve Harvey suit, encouraging us to join hands and thank God for various things. You know... Jesus, bread, Mel Gibson. The usual stuff.

Now we're go with the flow kind of people, so we joined in. Grabbed a stranger's hand, thank God for Mel Gibson, why not. Then came the group hugs. This was a little more awkward, but after such a gruesome, exhausting, and not especially good snuff flick such as The Passion, we took it as a well timed comic relief. Perhaps a gift from above, for having just endured such a film.

We sang and prayed and hugged our way out of that theater as fast as we could and laughed about it all the way home.