Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCreate a new literary canon (1900-2007).
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=284253
284253, Create a new literary canon (1900-2007).
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 10:50 AM
Not your most favouritest books ever, but the books that in your opinon are the greatest works of the last century or so. I guess fiction only. No repeats, just add on if you don't see a particular book there. I'll put five on it:

"The Sound and the Fury" - William Faulkner
"For Whom the Bell Tolls" - Ernest Hemingway
"Song of Solomon" - Toni Morrison
"Things Fall Apart" - Chinua Achebe
"The Watchmen" - Alan Moore

Ahhh, four easy classics, and one new classic to appear edgy. Verrrrry pussy.

284255, As I Lay Dying by Faulkner.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-22-07 11:07 AM
284260, good choice, good choice.
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 11:21 AM
my mother is a fish indeed. I didn't wanna just list faulkner all day long, cuz i love hiim so mush and I didn't wanna drool over him. Rather leave it up to other posters I figured.
284487, Just started this and loving it, I love tha narration style
Posted by crow, Tue May-22-07 11:15 PM
284262, RE: Create a new literary canon (1900-2007).
Posted by kaytomah, Tue May-22-07 11:36 AM
1. Leslie M. Silko-Almanac of the Dead
2. Ayi Kwei Armah-Two Thousand Seasons
3. Alice Wlaker-The Color Purple
4. Varga Llosa-The War of the End of the World
5. Octavia Butler-Parable Of the Sower
6. The Alchemist

Yo, I love the way I am and can’t nobody out here change me
Rearrange me, tame me, try to game me, you don’t play me
When I grab the mic then shock the party spot
Your rhymes are flip-flop, I’ll rock, hip-hop
Non-stop, me nah stop rock
You can touch
284264, yeah, lol The Alchemist
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 11:41 AM
that hot pile of slop.

LOL

but that makes absolutely impeccable sense given the sloppy thinking and new age mush that modern people buy into.

Definitely The Alchemist.

Add in all the other "books" by Coelho.
284272, That's the suspect choice.
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 11:55 AM
I'm wondering what people's biases are, that why i said not the favouritest books, but the books that represent literature the best. But I respect most choices.

That said, I'll ask for this post to be deleted if I see "The Secret" on this. im joking. im not joking. im joking...
284275, Exactly.
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 11:59 AM
I was wavering between cosigning on The Alchemist and nominating The Secret. There are others. How about Ishmael? There's always someone insisting that it's the truth. Or The Celestine Prophecy? Ten or fifteen years ago, someone would have nominated The Course in Miracles. I throw my hands up in despair.
284279, hah hah...celestine prophesy
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 12:02 PM
did we all go thru that awkward stage? It's like the braces of books.

Also janey(and everyone else), this post is also in GD, so if you wanna contribute, you can post it here or there (or both!)
284282, I thought Ayn Rand was really smart
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 12:04 PM
for approximately five minutes when I was approximately 21. LOL
284285, "capitalism is awesome, man
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 12:19 PM
you need to read this ayn rand book man, it'll fucking blow you away. Commies are stupid y'know?"

yeah, it's such college fodder. It's in the same group as chuck bukowski come to think of it. chuck palahnuik too.
284291, the more dangerous idea, I think,
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 12:51 PM
is the business about blaming people if they're not materially successful. As though that's ANY gauge of merit. I mean, sure, you bet, rugged individualism, pull yourself up by the bootstraps and all, but that notion presupposes a level playing field, which has never existed in this or any country. So to make material success a virtue (and to make sure that there's a one to one correlation between attractive {read: Aryan} people and material success) is to propound a racist and classist philosophy.

The best thing about Ayn Rand is that she died on the same day as John Belushi, and was upstaged in her obituary by him. He was front page news and no one noticed her death. Oh boy would THAT have pissed her off!
284273, ^^^ DROPPIN BOMBS
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-22-07 11:56 AM
284266, RE: Create a new literary canon (1900-2007).
Posted by Walleye, Tue May-22-07 11:44 AM
1. "Ulysses" by James Joyce

-When I was a senior in high school we spent three months of everyday work on Hamlet. Three months. Obviously, people can spend a lifetime on Hamlet but 3 months is a long time for a highschool student to deal with a work that's entirely dialogue and stage directions and probably comes in under 200 pages. "Ulysses" is also above the vast majority of high school students, but at least it's long enough to work through for that period of time. If we're compiling a new canon, "Ulysses" is my new "Hamlet".

2. "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler

-It took Michael Chabon to make me realize that genre fiction deserves a seat at the literary table, so to speak. The hardboiled detective novel is part of American culture like... a bunch of things that are part of American culture. Baseball, maybe? Whatever. And it's really good.

3. "Three" by Flannery O'Connor

-I realize that this is a compilation, and of the two editions of it I prefer the one with "Everything that Rises Must Converge" because I like that story better than "A Good Man is Hard to Find". But because her individual works are shorter a good compilation is important.

4. "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene

-Yeah, another Catholic.

5. "Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie

-"Midnight's Children" is better, but not so much better that this choice is silly. Plus, how often does a novel make history? I think the answer is "not often" though I'm willing to be corrected.

6. "Blonde" by Joyce Carol Oates

-I like it. That's my only defense.

And I agree with most of the other stuff named that I've actually read. Though I think there's several Faulkner pieces I'd pick before "As I Lay Dying".
284277, Oh Ulysses.
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 12:00 PM
yeah i had to do it for a modern lit course. I like it and think it should be on the list. It's clearly over-rated (it's like Illmatic times 1000 in scholars minds), but a good thing to sit there on the shelf and peek at every once in a while.

Yeah, chandler is interesting, and the more great genre fic, the better.
284280, RE: Oh Ulysses.
Posted by Walleye, Tue May-22-07 12:03 PM
>It's clearly over-rated (it'slike Illmatic times 1000 in scholars >minds), but a good thing to sit there on the shelf and peek at every >once in a while.

It's not clear to me that it's overrated at all. I think you could cut it in half and it would be the two greatest novels ever written.

284281, there was a terrific piece in the New Yorker recently
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 12:04 PM
about genre fiction, specifically crime fiction:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/04/09/070409crbo_books_james
284270, Here's five kinda obvious choices.
Posted by genius.switch, Tue May-22-07 11:52 AM
And yes, I guess I like my fiction rooted in a larger real world historical context.

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man - James Weldon Johnson
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Libra - Don DeLillo
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
284274, good picks.
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue May-22-07 11:58 AM
I think the obvious ones should come out first before we start picking contraversal or idiosyncratic ones.
284312, RE: Here's five kinda obvious choices.
Posted by UncleClimax, Tue May-22-07 01:28 PM
>And yes, I guess I like my fiction rooted in a larger real
>world historical context.
>
>The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man - James Weldon Johnson
i support this one billion percent

>The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
eh. isnt this already canonized?

>The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
and this also?

>Libra - Don DeLillo
need to read. this guy is amazing.

>Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
vonnegut is good.
284314, 5
Posted by UncleClimax, Tue May-22-07 01:30 PM
a house for mr. biswas - v.s. naipaul
nine stories - jd salinger
lolita - nabokov
giovanni's room - baldwin
dharma bums - kerouac
284491, Wow. Where have *you* been? n/m
Posted by kurlyswirl, Tue May-22-07 11:19 PM

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl
284517, a job
Posted by UncleClimax, Wed May-23-07 02:48 AM
and ive also kinda burnt out of my film nerd stage. i rarely have the patience to watch movies. im getting back to reading now, ironically.
284323, I'll take a crack at it
Posted by JungleSouljah, Tue May-22-07 01:49 PM
1. Something by Tom Wolfe. I really can't decide between Bonfire of the Vanities or Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. I'd almost say both should be included because they're such different works and they illustrate his talent in both fiction and journalism.

2. Chesapeake, Hawai'i, or South Pacific by Michener. I know alot of people hate Michener and his sometimes slow pacing, but he definitely brings something to the table no one else does and he weaves beautiful multi-generational tales.

3. Can't Stop, Won't Stop by Jeff Chang. The best book written on hip hop and it's effect on it's generation. Sort of important given how influential hip hop is in our current society. And it should be mentioned that no one teaches a hip hop class these days without making at least a couple chapters of the book required reading.

4. Middlesex by Jefferey Eugenides. Bit of an easier pick given the Pulitzer and the ensuing buzz, but it's a fantastic piece of fiction.

5. House of God by Sam Shem. A sentimental pick on my part, but it should be included for the same reasons that Catch-22 is. It's a wonderful, satrical look at health care in the '70s and really captures the despondency of residency much in the same way that Catch-22 does with the military.

6. Harry Potter. I know we should wait until Deathly Hallows, but I think it's worth talking about. The most important 'children's series' since Narnia deserves mentioning in the canon.
284329, RE: I'll take a crack at it
Posted by Walleye, Tue May-22-07 01:54 PM
>The most important
>'children's series' since Narnia deserves mentioning in the
>canon.

Does it get the "most important since..." tag because of it's sales or because it's that good. Because I actually prefer the Lemony Snicket series. It's never too early to introduce children to adult moral reasoning and the importance of having good taste.
284361, have you read Adam Gopnik's children's book?
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 03:41 PM
The King in the Window?

He says the reason he wrote it was that he was completely freaked out by the popularity of children's books that emphasized intuition over rationality. He was like, no way, if you're able to think, you should use that ability to solve problems.

Also, Philip Pullman's series is pretty remarkable in part because it is frank about moral ambiguity.
284992, RE: have you read Adam Gopnik's children's book?
Posted by Walleye, Thu May-24-07 12:16 PM
>The King in the Window?

No, I haven't. Even when I was an actual child, I was a cranky old bastard so I never read very many children's books at all outside of the usual suspects. Since I've been an official grownup, I've only read the Harry Potter series and the Lemony Snicket series and one book in what is apparently going to a series by Ann Ursu.

I loved Lemony Snicket, Harry Potter is entertaining enough to keep reading and Ursu is a public Minnesota Twins fan so she's basically incapable of doing anything bad.

>He says the reason he wrote it was that he was completely
>freaked out by the popularity of children's books that
>emphasized intuition over rationality. He was like, no way,
>if you're able to think, you should use that ability to solve
>problems.

Is that really an identifiable trend in children's literature? I don't think I understand what he's talking about.

>Also, Philip Pullman's series is pretty remarkable in part
>because it is frank about moral ambiguity.

Meh. Maybe I'm just being cranky again, but moral ambiguity doesn't seem that out of fashion to me.
284401, Damn it
Posted by JungleSouljah, Tue May-22-07 06:26 PM
I forgot Lemony Snicket. I've read bits and pieces, but I haven't finished the series. It's certainly on my to do list. I should probably also plan on re-reading all of Potter once Book 7 is out.

I may also have to take a look at janey's recs.

This is why I don't get involved in book threads. Way over my head.
284409, no way no way
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 06:45 PM
you are totally not over your head. I really appreciate your input even if I disagree.
284360, Tom Wolfe over Hunter Thompson?
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 03:39 PM
for shame.

Tom Wolfe suffers from a serious problem in his fiction: He gets way too far into a way too long book and then doesn't know how to end it so he just stops. I think there's value in his writing but I don't think we can say that either of his novels illustrate true genius.

He also suffers from a serious problem in his nonfiction, and that is that he sometimes inadvertently inserts himself into the action. Thompson said that the merry pranksters were all laughing behind their hands at him because he never really became a fly on the wall so whenever he was around in one of his ice cream suits they would just do what they wanted his writing to reflect and not what came naturally.

Compare Thompson's Hell's Angels with Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid. I'll take the former a hundred times over the latter.
284400, I figured Thompson hadn't been mentioned because
Posted by JungleSouljah, Tue May-22-07 06:25 PM
it was agreed upon that he was canonical.

I'll agree with your critique of Wolfe on his latter two novels (he has three by the by) and Thompson is certainly the better gonzo writer. What if I said The Right Stuff instead of Electric Kool-Aid?
284407, I couldn't remember if it was two or three
Posted by janey, Tue May-22-07 06:37 PM
Bonfire
A Man in Full
and then a more recent one, right? The one I ignored? lol

No, The Right Stuff, although a very fun read, isn't any more journalistic than Electric Kool-Aid.
284464, I am Charlotte Simmons and an explanation of my
Posted by JungleSouljah, Tue May-22-07 09:46 PM
which I only read since it was researched at both my most hated institution of higher learning (Stanford) and my most loved (Duke). And he gave a fantastic commencement speech at Duke the year before I graduated, when his daughter graduated.

Well having not read The Right Stuff I can't say.

I would have said something about The Fountain, but since everyone's utter distaste for Ayn Rand was voiced earlier in the thread I decided to spare myself the public flogging. For the record, I enjoy The Fountain for many of the reasons everyone else hates it. I think the ideas of objectivism are worth discussing if only to point out why they are so discordant with a healthy society. And a part of me identifies with Roark.

Now if you really want to discuss a piece of shit, let's talk about Atlas Shrugged which I refused to finish. Fuck that horrendous piece of trash. There's not even a worthwhile narrative there. At least The Fountain has that going for it.

And furthermore my top 5 canon would have looked something like this:

1. Faulkner - The Sound and The Fury
2. Vonnegut - Cat's Cradle
3. Steinbeck - East of Eden
4. Rand - The Fountain (fuck it, I'll say it)
5. Middlesex (just to keep it interesting with something contemporary)

But I was attempting to avoid things that had already been said and avoid books that should already be considered canonical.
284575, LOL how could I forget Charlotte Simmons?
Posted by janey, Wed May-23-07 11:04 AM
The best thing about that book was the careful dissection of the various uses of the word "fuck." But otherwise I thought it was so trivial that I wasn't even willing to skim back into it to find that page.

It's the FountainHEAD, btw ;-)

xxoo
284977, Hush, I know it's The Fountainhead
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu May-24-07 11:46 AM
I was post-call when I wrote that. Have pity.

As for Mr. Wolfe, I am Charlotte Simmons was not good. Men in their 60s should not be writing about what goes on in college, even if they've done extensive research and have a child or two currently attending university. It never works out. You can't capture the attitude and atmosphere unless you're experiencing it personally. And that absolutely showed through in his book. Nothing about it rang remotely true to me.

The end of A Man in Full may be one of the worst copouts I've ever seen in the history of literature. But I still enjoy Bonfire and Electric Kool Aid.
285001, that's what I'm SAYing
Posted by janey, Thu May-24-07 12:32 PM
The end of A Man in Full and the end of Bonfire and the end of Charlotte Simmons.

He writes and writes and writes and then goes, oh, okay I guess it's long enough, bordering on too long, and then he just fucking stops writing and ties everything up neatly and just says how it all turns out without showing it or really writing about it.
285128, Yeah but at least the ending off Bonfires was realistic
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu May-24-07 05:55 PM
Man in Full was a RIDICULOUS cop out. With the whole dude going crazy and thinking he's Zeus? Come theeee fuck on.

I honestly don't remember Charlotte Simmons ending and even though it's sitting on the bookshelf (I was hoping for a return to form) I refuse to go re-read the last couple chapters. All I recall is that it was a terribly contrived ending where Charlotte got her heart broken in some ludicrous manner. And I think something amazingly benificent happened to the frat guy. Right?

Bonfires has the best ending. And I don't think it's all that ridiculous. I mean he ends up goin to jail.
284404, RE: I'll take a crack at it
Posted by jane eyre, Tue May-22-07 06:33 PM
>6. Harry Potter. I know we should wait until Deathly Hallows,
>but I think it's worth talking about. The most important
>'children's series' since Narnia deserves mentioning in the
>canon.

i love the harry potter series. i don't think j.k. rowling is that great of a writer, though. is that a good enough reason to not include the series? out of the blue, when you mentioned narnia it reminded me of the lewis essay on children's writing: "once in a hotel dining-room I said, rather too loudly, 'I loathe prunes.' 'So do I,' came an unexpected six-year-old voice from another table. Sympathy was instantaneous. Neither of us thought it funny. We both knew that prunes are far too nasty to be funny. That is the proper meeting between man and child as independent personalities."

not related, 2 books that i'd add:

mrs. dalloway.
the tin drum.

284398, A little Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Posted by BigKato, Tue May-22-07 05:56 PM
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

The Dark Tower series by Steven King
284424, The Dharma Bums
Posted by magilla vanilla, Tue May-22-07 07:39 PM
Yeah, On the Road is already accepted Canon, but Dharma Bums is the more focused work, I think.
284441, that was always my favorite
Posted by cereffusion, Tue May-22-07 08:36 PM

Back like...

http://www.imageyenation.com
284726, Really the only Kerouac you need to read is On The Road, Dharma
Posted by Bombastic, Wed May-23-07 07:05 PM
Bums and Big Sur.

To me, that gives the three sides.....

On The Road: young, travel/excess/adventure.
Dharma Bums: slightly older, still adventures but adding more spirituality to the quest.
Big Sur: A little older still, bitter, dissillusioned, in the throes of alcoholism and lamenting lost youth/innocence.

And that's it.

After I read On The Road when I was 16 I went on a Kerouac tear for awhile......but those are the three books of his that actually stick with me.
284488, A Few:
Posted by crow, Tue May-22-07 11:17 PM
Jesus' Son- Denis Johnson
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas- Hunter S. Thompson
1984- George Orwell
The Dubliners- James Joyce
284489, RE: Create a new literary canon (1900-2007).
Posted by King_Friday, Tue May-22-07 11:17 PM
An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
Journey To The End Of The Night - Louis Ferdinand Celine
The Ragazzi - Pier Paolo Pasolini
Babbitt - Sinclair Lewis
Berlin Alexanderplatz - Alfred Doblin
Nadja - Andre Breton
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
Tender Is The Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Thief's Journal - Jean Genet
Rabbit, Run - John Updike
Call Of The Wild - Jack London
Collected Stories - Isaac Babel
Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges
284494, You're somebody else, aren't you?
Posted by kurlyswirl, Tue May-22-07 11:22 PM
At first I thought ricky, but now I think you're maurice. Hmm...

284716, You think I'm an alias?
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Wed May-23-07 06:10 PM
That's hilarious, i've never been accused of such. Besides, I post nothing like Maurice(i assume you mean Bridgetown). Just because we're both Barbadians! How dare you!
284719, Yep, I do.
Posted by kurlyswirl, Wed May-23-07 06:27 PM
Mostly because I don't recall seeing your name in PTP before and it's rare that a non-PTP regular would make such a well thought out post. It's usually "I just saw City of God!" or "What time/channel is Lost on?" lol

>That's hilarious, i've never been accused of such. Besides,
>I post nothing like Maurice(i assume you mean Bridgetown).

Yes! Bridgetown! I couldn't for the life of me remember his (ahem, *your*) okp name, just that it started with a B. That's pretty bad, considering he was one of my first myspace friends, lol.

Hey, that's another reason I suspect you - Bridgetown hasn't been around much lately.

So there. :-p

>Just because we're both Barbadians! How dare you!

284729, I don't.
Posted by janey, Wed May-23-07 07:25 PM
Maybe it's because I hang out in GD more frequently than you do, but this name is very familiar to me.
284733, VERY familiar.
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Wed May-23-07 07:35 PM
You and i killed someone on the way to Reno that one time, remember?
284734, hey buster don't be putting our private business out there like that
Posted by janey, Wed May-23-07 07:40 PM
or I'll have to kill you
284741, *sigh* Alright, fine. lol - n/m
Posted by kurlyswirl, Wed May-23-07 07:58 PM

284980, *hey, over here kurly*
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu May-24-07 11:49 AM
*in hushed tones* I agree with you. Something smells foul in Denmark. Let's meet out behind your inbox. We should get to the bottom of this.

P.S. I'm not sure one can really meet behind one's inbox. And I don't have any idea how we would get to the bottom of this. But I like adding an air of noir-ish intrigue to PTP.
284986, did you say "DENMARK"?
Posted by janey, Thu May-24-07 11:55 AM
are you actually Mads Mikkelsen in disguise?
285139, Does Mads have a strong working knowledge of medicine?
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu May-24-07 06:11 PM
And I'm more Dutch than Danish.
285142, I think yes.
Posted by janey, Thu May-24-07 06:14 PM
He played a doctor in Open Hearts. Very believably, may I add.
285297, I'll be the judge of that
Posted by JungleSouljah, Fri May-25-07 08:17 AM
Maybe he acts like a Danish doctor and not an American one.

Is it bad that when I typed Danish doctor I thought "Quick... we need more icing STAT... it's hardening too fast... damnit, we're losing it."
285339, murderer of danish
Posted by janey, Fri May-25-07 11:07 AM
lol

you are either really weird or really wired and I don't know which

.;-)
285362, Probably both
Posted by JungleSouljah, Fri May-25-07 11:51 AM
My fiancee calls me the "smartest yet craziest" person she's ever known.

And if I'm wired it's au naturale. I haven't had caffeine in the morning since... ever. I used to make the mistake of drinking lattes in the afternoon, but I squashed that after I pulled an all night with the help of a triple mocha latte and about 30 oz of Moutain Dew. I was a jittery mess at 8am and wanted to vomit.

That's my version of rock bottom.

And to get this post back on track: books - let's talk about em.
285091, lol!
Posted by kurlyswirl, Thu May-24-07 03:57 PM
>*in hushed tones* I agree with you. Something smells foul in
>Denmark. Let's meet out behind your inbox. We should get to
>the bottom of this.
>
>P.S. I'm not sure one can really meet behind one's inbox.

I think one meets *inside* one's inbox. *struggles to pull mind away from the edge of the gutter*

>And I don't have any idea how we would get to the bottom of
>this. But I like adding an air of noir-ish intrigue to PTP.

I'm gonna start a little notebook of clues. Yup.

285138, We should go and find Sweet Joseph to help us
Posted by JungleSouljah, Thu May-24-07 06:09 PM
He seems to have cornered the noir market lately.

Seriously though when I first saw this post I said to myself "Who is this poseur?" Which is lame considering we all have aliases on a website... so we're all sort of posing. But the name was completely unfamiliar to me also. Maybe he'll stay and discuss other fun things.

Maybe he secretly loves Mads.
285148, I feel like an idiot asking this, but...
Posted by kurlyswirl, Thu May-24-07 06:38 PM
I don't know who/what Sweet Joseph is.

>He seems to have cornered the noir market lately.
>
>Seriously though when I first saw this post I said to myself
>"Who is this poseur?"

Exactly. lol

>
>Maybe he secretly loves Mads.

Hey, who doesn't?

285296, This might have been during your 2 or 3 month hiatus
Posted by JungleSouljah, Fri May-25-07 08:15 AM
Sweet Joseph is Joseph Gordon Levitt star of such contemporary noir films like 'Brick' and 'The Lookout'. ms. janey told an entertaining tale of seeing The Lookout or Brick with an elderly gentleman near by who kept calling JGL 'Sweet Joseph'. It's a wonderful story.
285337, It might be a You Had To Be There story, though, lol
Posted by janey, Fri May-25-07 11:06 AM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=258909&mesg_id=258909&listing_type=search#267617
285347, Oh, my.
Posted by kurlyswirl, Fri May-25-07 11:26 AM
Yep, that post was made during one of my hiatuses.

285360, Thank you for upping that
Posted by JungleSouljah, Fri May-25-07 11:47 AM
I had to go handle several of my schizophrenic patients. We found one of them in the wrong room, sleeping in bed, refusing to move back to his room. Fun times.
285363, Have I mentioned The Making of a Psychiatrist, by David Viscott?
Posted by janey, Fri May-25-07 11:53 AM
I think I have.

It's dated but funny.
284506, Haven't seen it mentioned yet: 100 Years of Solitude
Posted by likwit_crew, Wed May-23-07 12:31 AM
Oprah's book club be damned!
284511, A lot of biggies off the list, so here's an idiosyncratic choice:
Posted by Bumaye, Wed May-23-07 01:01 AM
David Bradley's The Chaneysville Incident.

Not my favorite book (one of, however), but I do think it is among the most incredible novels written (CERTAINLY in the 20th Century).

Everytime I introduce a lit friend or colleague to this book, they find a way to teach it (high school or college).
284816, RE: Create a new literary canon (1900-2007).
Posted by inpulse, Wed May-23-07 11:46 PM
beloved - morrison
blood meridian - mccarthy
underworld - delillo
house of leaves - danielewski
invisible man - ellison
watership down - adams
gravity's rainbow - pynchon
man in the high castle - dick
neuromancer - gibson
fahrenheit 451 - bradbury

ahh, that is all for now.
284828, you know, not a big fan of blood meridian
Posted by crow, Thu May-24-07 01:17 AM
Read it this year, didn't like it too much, I tried another Mccarthy, didn't like that either
284849, what don't you ike about McCarthy?
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Thu May-24-07 02:44 AM
Because I'm thinking that you don't like William Faulkner. Maybe you don't like overly expressionistic writing (what writers call 'muscular' writing) or something else...
284970, I love Faulkner
Posted by crow, Thu May-24-07 11:37 AM
But on Mccarthy, I don't know what it was about blood meridian, it just didn't catch me that much and seemed somewhat boring...It might of just been a bad time for me to read it, I own it so I'll probably give it another shot later
284975, me too: Yes on Faulkner; Ehhh on McCarthy
Posted by janey, Thu May-24-07 11:44 AM
I finally decided that it's okay not to like him. His writing can have great literary merit and not require my seal of approval. ;-)

But it was a tough decision, lol.

~~~~~

It is painful in the extreme to live with questions rather than with answers, but that is the only honorable intellectual course. (c) Norman Mailer
284850, mccarthy has the most beautiful prose imo...
Posted by inpulse, Thu May-24-07 03:20 AM
especially, out of people who are currently writing. the big three with him are blood meridian, suttree, and the road. if you dont like any of those its safe to say you wont like anything by him. and ill admit he isnt for everybody.

im excited about the coen bros joint comin out soon based on no country.
284972, I'm a writer and it didn't do much for me
Posted by crow, Thu May-24-07 11:38 AM
But the second book I read was No Country For Old Men, which I didn't finish just because I got distracted again with school.

I'll probably give it another shot, I didn't hate it, just didn't see the brilliance that others did.
285104, no country is considered one of his "worst" books...
Posted by inpulse, Thu May-24-07 04:47 PM
no that it is outright bad, but nowhere near the best. try suttree or the road.
284976, I should re-read Watership Down
Posted by janey, Thu May-24-07 11:45 AM
I haven't read it since high school.
285244, lol, i had a hippie teacher who read it to us in 5th grade
Posted by inpulse, Thu May-24-07 11:06 PM
but i reread it a few years ago. obviously it's a kids book but at the same time much, much more.
284851, the corrections - franzen
Posted by inpulse, Thu May-24-07 03:20 AM
284950, excellent book. i like his earlier novel Strong Motion as well.
Posted by Morehouse, Thu May-24-07 11:03 AM

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=500290931

myself is sculptor of
your body’s idiom:
the musician of your wrists;
the poet who is afraid
only to mistranslate
a rhythm in your hair...
-E.E. Cummings