Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthere was a definite plot. It was loose, but it was there.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=278282&mesg_id=300342
300342, there was a definite plot. It was loose, but it was there.
Posted by Nukkapedia, Tue Jul-17-07 11:30 PM
I'm cool to sit for three or four minutes and watch Guy and Girl in a music shop singing a song and accompanying each other on guitar and piano. After about minute six, my Walt Disney eyebrow went up.

Something like that works when you have movement (the later sequence of Girl walking through the city while listening to the headphones and singing along) or tremendous production values (Prince's eight-minute rendition of "Purple Rain", which even with the big stage and all was borderline overkill). But in such an intimate, relatively calm and quiet setting as a music store, it's a bit mundane, I feel, to just have your main characters sitting down performing a song for that long - even if it's a nice song, which it was - without something else happing or some sort of variety to what we're seeing/hearing.

And I don't call movies where people sing but don't sing "to" each other "musicals". They sit on the same shelf with my musicals and music videos, but I don't call them "musicals". I think I just call them "music films".