Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt's kind of a long story really.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=271960&mesg_id=272059
272059, It's kind of a long story really.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Apr-10-07 12:05 PM
I'm from Jacksonville, Florida. Jacksonville is the biggest city land-wise in the country. We have a population of a couple million people, and we're constantly growing. However, our theatre community is rather small. There are two community theaters and one dinner theater. Nothing that seats more than 150 people or so.

I went to visit my ex-girlfriend in Ohio where she was in Beauty and the Beast in the small town of Mansfield. In this tiny town, a population of around 50,000, they had a regional theater that seated 1,400, and did a pretty good job of filling it.

For me, this was a whole new world. We have trouble filling the community theaters in Jacksonville. They really love theater in the Midwest.

I went and toured Ohio State and really dug the facility. They have one of the best playscript libraries in the nation, and several outstanding theaters, both on-campus and in the community of Columbus. Plus, they are still a school with good sports, so I can keep from going completely insane into the world of theater. :)

A factor at the time was also that my now ex-girlfriend goes to law school there, so that would have been a welcome addition to get into this great school where my girlfriend is. Now we're broken up, and while we don't have any intention of getting back together, we've been speaking and are on friendly terms, so it won't be too awkward (plus, OSU is a HELL of a big campus, and even if we weren't on friendly terms, the odds of me running into her would be slim).

So while it's no Carnegie Mellon or something along those lines, it'll provide me with an intensive 2-year program where I'll get to dig deeper into the aspects of theater I'm really interested in (acting, directing, writing plays, writing scholarly criticism).

Eventually, maybe this will give me the knowhow to become an artistic director of a theater, or perhaps to even start my own community theater. Those would be my ideal end results.