Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectwhat i didn't like about civil war
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=257108&mesg_id=257304
257304, what i didn't like about civil war
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Feb-22-07 06:59 PM
first, it started off as a reality show gone bad. reality shows are bad enough in real life, and in a comic book it's as uncreative as i've ever seen a major event start (knightfall at least began with an interesting premise, then became wretched).

second, did anybody take a moment to learn about these villains they were about to fight? "hmmm, nitro can blow himself up. let's not rush into this with spectators all around." and then YOU THROW HIM INTO A BUS. YOU THREW A BOMB INTO A HUGE GAS CAN!

now at this point, civil war is actually fairly good, even with this lame beginning. the problem is, it quickly falls apart. of course major events have to happen during major events, but at least they should be believeable. mr fantastic's attitude during civil war was so far off that he became creepy. clone thor killing goliath was pathetic and tasteless. the punisher killing stiltman 2 was....ok, that was good. spiderman unmasking was ok. i can understand both sides of the argument, but at least it's believeable in the situation peter was in.

wolverine became a mess. so now he's damn near indestructable? he can fall thousands of feet, be blown up, burned, and not die? i wish they would stop adding arsenal to wolverine's rep. i mean, nowadays he's basically immortal. and how about that underwater scene where he's in iron mans' suit with his claws out? now that's he's one of the more popular characters, they've tried to make wolvie too cool in an attempt to continue his popularity.

bringing back captain mar-vell from the dead? *shakes head*

the thunderbolts was an interesting idea, and i liked it at first, at least until venom and green goblin entered. that felt too forced and meant for shock rather than a good idea or a natural progression. am i the only one who doesn't like the look of the new venom (also, is it truly max gorgan aka scorpion? one of my favorite villians along with electro)?

we're not even talking about the shipping schedule or the fact that frontline was supposed to be ten issue at first. basically, marvel made great money off civil war and decided to add about a 1/4 more than originally intended, so they either didn't plan this event out well enough, or they are gouging us consumers.

also, after awhile, those civil war covers got annoying. the civil war banner on the front page takes up room that should be used for art.

i can't speak on the last month as i haven't bought anything CW related except "the return," but from what i've heard of CW 7, it seems to have gone out with a yelp instead of a roar.

the difference between marvel and DC is right now, DC has a better editorial staff, because while infinite crises had it's problems, it held everything together, unlike civil war.