Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: Is the bar really that low?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=254858&mesg_id=257881
257881, RE: Is the bar really that low?
Posted by bignick, Sat Feb-24-07 04:44 PM
>Okay, his writing IS bad. Agreed.

Didn't that feel good? To just be honest. I think there are a lot of black folks in this country watching his movies thinking, "Ouch. This shit is really clunky." But keep it to themselves because they want to seem positive or don't want to be called a hater.

>And the
>race comment was referring to what critics assume about many
>black films. Critics do have a very slight disconnect with
>these films but not nearly as much as a lot of black people
>force themselves to believe. But the same could be said about
>horror movies.

See, if anything I think a lot of critics go out of their way to try and give black films the benefit of the doubt. Look at the reviews for this movie. I pointed this out before in reply #38, but it clearly bears repeating:

"Tyler Perry merits an A for the messages he wants to deliver but only a C-plus for the way he delivers them."
Jeff Strickler
Minneapolis Star Tribune

"The hamfistedness of Daddy's Little Girls ultimately shatters its charms."
Matt Zoller Seitz
New York Times

"Perry has great casting instincts, and in Elba and Union he’s matched two gifted, equally gorgeous actors, both of whom seem ready to make sparks fly. If only their director would let them."
Chuck Wilson
L.A. Weekly

Critics really WANT to like his stuff. But they can't because he's just so damn bad at it.

>My expectations aren't the same for every movie. If I go to
>see a Tyler Perry movie, I'm not expecting the same things I'm
>expecting from someone like Scorsese.

I couldn't disagree with you more. When I go to the movies, regardless of genre or budget or director, I want to see a damn good movie. At the very least it has to be well done. You've agreed with me that he's a bad writer. Good writing is one of the few basic, fundamental, essential building blocks of making a good movie. He doesn't have that. So, he's not making good movies.

>Like I said, the story was told and I was satisfied. I wasn't
>looking for some epic drama.

Stop inflating the expectations. I never said anything about it being an epic drama. Some of the greatest movies ever made have stories that unfold over the course of one day, hell even a few hours. It doesn't have to be epic. It just has to be well done.

>I live in NC too and I do see some of those people around. I
>do know people like some of those characters. If Daddy's
>Little Girls didn't communicate anything at all then I'd say
>it's bad moviemaking. As is, DLG is ultimately ordinary. But
>it's not bad.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's not good enough at enough of the skills to qualify as ordinary. I think he would have to improve drastically as a writer for his work to be considered average.

Agree to disagree, I guess.