Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: My beef is with people who think he's above criticism cause he's black.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=254858&mesg_id=257868
257868, RE: My beef is with people who think he's above criticism cause he's black.
Posted by rorschach, Sat Feb-24-07 03:17 PM
>There seems to be this logic among black folks that if
>someone is critical of his work they're either hating on him
>or don't get it because they're white. Of course, that's
>ridiculous.

I only agree halfway with this statement because race does lend a small bias when it comes down to black films. Some critics really don't get it because they're white. But you're right about black folks in that statement. You're only being critical if you have concrete reasons for disliking something. If you judge without actually having knowledge of what you're talking about then you're hating.

>To summarize: He's melodramatic, can't write dialogue, and
>his characters are simplistic. Guess what? That makes him a
>bad writer.

That makes him a subpar writer. Perry still manages to tell a story from beginning to end. Like I said, a simple story can be appreciated just as much as a complex story. He does need to upgrade his level of dialogue, though.

>I watched the stage version of "Diary" on DVD and it was
>awful. And if every single line of dialogue in a trailer
>makes me cringe, that's all I need to know.
>
>>Every movie doesn't need to have three to four subplots, a
>>bunch of allusions and complex characters to be decent.
>
>This speaks volumes. Complex characters aren't some extra
>added bonus that a movie needs to go from good to great.
>They're one of the basic building blocks of good screenwriting
>and good movie making. Without that, you get rudimentary
>archetypes instead of real people.
>
>Some people just expect more from a movie.

What's the need for complexity in a story that is very simple to tell? Like I said before, he told the story from beginning to end. It's not Shakespeare but it matched my expectations. You can take a rudimentary story and still make a decent film out of it. A film shouldn't have to comment on the state of anything nor does it have to work on multiple layers to tell its story.

Another good example is Rocky Balboa. That movie wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel. It was just telling its story. Any complexity derived from the characters was a given because of the five other movies.

And as far as expecting more, do you even to relate to anything found in Tyler Perry's plays or films? That may be the problem right there. Maybe I relate because I'm from the South...I don't know.

"Being the bigger man is overrated." -- Huey (The Boondocks)

myspace.com/dozingoff