Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWhere do I start?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=254858&mesg_id=255921
255921, Where do I start?
Posted by bignick, Sun Feb-18-07 06:42 PM
-He needs to climb down off the soap box. Having a syrupy sweet feel good message does not make a movie good or worth watching. Positive does not equal good.

-Let someone else write the damn things. He's an awful, awful writer. He has no ear for dialogue. When I saw the trailer for this movie, I literally winced. Examples:

"I'm gonna enjoy raising your little girls."
??? What grown man would ever taunt another grown man with the fact that he's going to be faced with the responsibility of taking care of 3 children that aren't his?

"You should meet my boss. She wins every case."
No lawyer wins every case. Instead of putting her skills into some sort of context, like referencing some big case that she just won that got a lot of media attention or something more real, he writes one line and makes Gabrielle Union a super-lawyer.

"What does your Ivy league background possibly have in common with him."
"You and I come from two different worlds but there's something going on here."

There's an old saying, "Show, don't tell." They come from different backgrounds, we get it. Stop telling us what the problem might be and show us why it might be a problem.

He doesn't understand subtlety or subtext or nuance. His stories are paint by numbers fables with enough "ghetto" elements--crack dealers, single parents--to make people think of it as "real" and enough "positive" elements--church, we shall overcome speeches, super-successful black professionals--to keep the "uplift the race" folks happy.

And the notion that this guy gets undeserved hate is really off base to me. Even in the negative reviews you can see critics WANTING to like the movie because of all the positives. (The leads, the message, etc.)

"Tyler Perry merits an A for the messages he wants to deliver but only a C-plus for the way he delivers them."
Jeff Strickler
Minneapolis Star Tribune

"The hamfistedness of Daddy's Little Girls ultimately shatters its charms."
Matt Zoller Seitz
New York Times

"Perry has great casting instincts, and in Elba and Union he’s matched two gifted, equally gorgeous actors, both of whom seem ready to make sparks fly. If only their director would let them."
Chuck Wilson
L.A. Weekly

As for the regular folks who get accused of "hating on" Tyler Perry, I can't speak for everyone so I'll speak for myself. I don't hate the guy. He's just not a good filmmaker.