Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'm with you, D, but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=249037&mesg_id=249131
249131, I'm with you, D, but...
Posted by Big Chief Rumbletummy, Fri Jan-26-07 02:28 PM
>i figure the movie is for today's 12 yr olds.
>
>this is their Airplane!...their Scary Movie. we had
>ours...and they were better.

See, but those movies were spoofs of whole genres. Scary Movie, and Hot Shots! as well, had more of the "lifting direct scenes" vibe than the others, but Blazing Saddles spoofed the popular Western stereotypes, Airplane! did it to the disaster movies so popular in the 70s, Naked Gun (and originally Police Squad!) spoofed the hard-boiled street detective genre, and Top Secret! made fun of the epic World War II films that crop up every decade or so. All of them were hilarious and had gags born out of spoofing the accepted stereotypes of the genre. There was the occasional spoof of a direct scene in a movie (for example - the Great Escape motorcycle chase spoof in Top Secret!), but the vast majority of the jokes within those movies were the ironic puns, the non-sequiters, sight gags bordering that bordered on the surreal, or the tried-and-true slapstick of a good old swift kick in the nuts. I would never and I am not in any way labeling these movies as "intelligent" or "groundbreaking". Hell, I wouldn't even call them "praise-worthy". As a die-hard comedy fan, and as a person with the deepest admiration for all ofo those films (and many others like them), I am comfortable with saying that while those movies are sophomoric and simple, they still attempted to be somewhat original. However, the films Date Movie and Epic Movie don't even make an attempt to create any new characters. They simply take scenes and dialogue from other films and then use them again! Perhaps a scene or two may end differently than the original scenee they have stolen, but who really wants to see a film that is one endless re-run of scenes from other BETTER films, only without any of the originality, personality, charm, talent, or creativity that went into the films that are being stolen from.

And it IS stealing.

I cannot fathom a mind that finds it amusing to either produce or watch a film that simply takes an actor, slaps a Borat wardrobe onto him, and then uses one of his catchphrases as a way to get a laugh. In Date Movie it was a Napolean Dynamite look a like who said all the same catchphrases, acted the same disaffected and confused way, and ran off awkwardly. Oh but he fell down and his shirt said something different about Pedro huh? Oh those creative comedic geniuses, what will they come up with next?