Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectPapa's Cabin
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=247944&mesg_id=259479
259479, Papa's Cabin
Posted by invoice, Wed Feb-28-07 09:49 AM
So the Dean O'Dell's murder has been solved. I liked the episode in that every single time a character was on screen I thought to myself, "maybe he did it, maybe she did it." I was changing my theory consistently throughout the ep.

While I've read in some places that "it was so obvious that Tim was the murderer," I have to disagree. Yes--it was obvious that Tim was a suspicious character, but the way it went down was not obvious at all. People suspected Tim because he was a strange dude, but there is no way they could have figured everything out. I thought the actual "sleuthing" going on in the ep was pretty rad, right up to the end. I liked the way that everything came together, from the Mindy O'Dell and Professor Landry stuff to the stripper and the disposable phone. I thought to myself several times throughout, "I can't believe that this woman would remember that she saw Landry exactly two months ago." There were very small things like this that didn't sit right with me that made sense by the end (Tim paid some random lady to say that she saw Landry then planted a disposable phone).

What I WAS disappointed in, however, was the lack of dramatic grounding. I didn't think there was any real sense of urgency. I didn't think Veronica was in danger at any point during the ep, and there wasn't any emotional payoff for finding the right killer. "Spit and Eggs" got that stuff right, with V almost getting Mercered, and then also what was probably the best Logan scene of the season, w/ him pounding on the sheriffmobile just to get tossed in the same cell as the two rapists. Even the last episode w/ Lamb dying had MUCH more emotional resonance than this mini-finale.

So anyway, I thought this was a good conclusion to a good mystery, but not a great conclusion to what SHOULD be considered the "fourth biggest Neptune mystery" of the series.