Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectso, i FINALLY watched this for the first time. some thoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=240898&mesg_id=246365
246365, so, i FINALLY watched this for the first time. some thoughts
Posted by dro, Thu Jan-18-07 01:57 AM
i liked it on the whole. definitely a crazy movie, in terms of cinematography and set, costume, etc. kind of a half way point between Metropolis and Michel (Gondry).

also, minus the obvious mention of the movie and the "here's looking at you, kid," there were meant to be Casablanca undertones in this movie, right? while fundamentally different than casablanca, if you paid attention, whenever there's a big scene or certain kind of scene (mainly love) in brazil, it goes back to the theme song, like in casablanca. plus, the title, which seems pretty irrelevant, is kind of an exotic place, like casablanca. can anyone more versed on the film than me expand/explain some of this further?

i thought the ending was cool, and definitely a surprise. i'm still trying to digest it and am reading everyone's comments for more understanding on the film, and trying to make sense of some of the more hard-to-find themes.

maybe i'll be back later with more. but good pick for the movie club. its a classic that i had never seen, so felt compelled to finally check it out because of its selection here.