Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectso now I'm reading three
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=236091&mesg_id=241055
241055, so now I'm reading three
Posted by janey, Tue Dec-26-06 01:51 PM
Scapegoats of September 11th, by some lawyer professor guy, which combines legal criticism with some sociology of moral panic & scapegoating, and a short overview of hate crimes and state crimes in the last several years.

Dismantling Racism, by Joseph Brandt. This one was cited heavily in Cross-X, which I loved, and it's one I hadn't heard of before to the best of my knowledge. It's interesting in that it was written about 15 years ago "by white people for white people", identifying racism and its results as a white problem that has been courageously suffered and fought by Black people and effectively ignored by the vast majority of white people, and combatted wrongly by the rest. The writer is a minister and there's a ton of theological statements in it, like, we know two things about oppression -- that it is not right and that it is not what God intended. So that sometimes feels like the writer is really really not talking to me, but in other ways I think he's doing a great job of talking about the issues in a way that is direct but not necessarily confrontational, that demands response but has no room for justification for prior wrongs.

The Afterlife, by Donald Antrim. This is kind of a meandering memoir of his mother's life and death, and how her lifelong alcoholism and general peculiarity deeply affects him even now. It's well done, not whining or pitying but just a very straightforward account of the symptoms she manifests and their lingering stain.