Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: the Mayan Mystique
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=235007&mesg_id=298294
298294, RE: the Mayan Mystique
Posted by maternalbliss, Tue Jul-10-07 12:23 PM

Apocalypto
The beauty and brutality of Mayan Culture
Grade A
A group of peaceful hunter gatherers villages are destroyed by more aggressive members of their own culture. The members who are not killed are marched into the city to either become slaves or sacrifices. One of the captives(Jaguar Paw) escapes and returns to the village to reunite with his wife and child.
spoiler

At the end of the movie Jaguar gazes toward the coastline and we see the arrival of the Europeans.

end spoiler

Is this film racist?.... hardly.
It just shows what we know but many refuse to except. The ancient cultures of the new world, were a little fucked up before the arrival of the Spaniards.
Human history has been nothing more but a continuous cycle of cultures being annihilated by more *sophisticated* cultures. These so called sophisticated cultures always collapse and are replaced by another so called advanced culture

As a matter of fact much of the issues that plagued the Mayans concern us today.
There was *belief* in prophecies then just like today.
There was *drought* then there are droughts all over the world today.
*Class divisions* existed then like they do today.
*Jade* was status symbol of the Mayans today it is *bling bling*
Religious *fanatics* existed then and they still exist toda

They were just as beautiful as well. This is a beautiful film, I wanted to be there. The Mayans I imagine were these beautiful bronze people with bodies that were sculpted by the rigors of everyday living. No need for Gold's Gym, personal trainers or protein shakes. The city scenery is magnificent. The costumes of the nobles were full of elaborate ornaments as well as unusual hues. The Pyramid temple was awesome. The Jungle scenes were also well done.

The villagers are portrayed as folks who live a life of simplicity but they are not simple minded people. I assume any real knowledge of the mysteries of the universe perished with them(the religion of the nobles is clearly satanic). Or did they perish at all? Perhaps they are somewhere in the fifth dimension.