Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI'd like to talk about Taxi Driver for a minute.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=210530&mesg_id=210530
210530, I'd like to talk about Taxi Driver for a minute.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-29-06 07:07 PM
First of all, I know that I need another Scorsese late pass (and they'll continue this week, since I've rented Fritz Lang's M...I'll save the late pass-giving privileges for King Friday), but I just saw Taxi Driver today.

While completely engrossing and fascinating, I find myself unable to immediately voice a surefire opinion on the movie as a whole. It goes without saying that the acting, the music, and the camera work was really really terrific, which is why it's so easy to get sucked into. But something about the story left me hanging at the end, maybe because I feel like while the ending makes SENSE, it went one scene too long.

But I don't know...you ever watch a movie and feel like you need to watch it again in order to really get all of it into your system? That's how I feel right now about Taxi Driver. I feel like I don't understand all of Travis's actions, but then again, neither does he. All I know is the fact that the movie has got me thinking afterwards about it is a sign of how brilliantly the film is made, both in front of and behind the camera. The damn thing has wrapped itself around my brain and won't let go. But it's not the type of movie that immediately has me saying "I loved it" or "I need to go cop the DVD." It mostly has me saying "I need to see it again to get a better grasp on everything in Travis's mind."

Talk to me, people. What do y'all think? Genius film? Flawed film? A bit of both? Overhyped garbage?