Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNo way.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=210199&mesg_id=210234
210234, No way.
Posted by murph25, Mon Aug-28-06 10:21 PM
Blame the internet hype for SoaP's poor box office?! I don't think so. Blame the media for latching onto this phenomenon and making outlandish predictions for the movie. Blame the studio for marketing it in a way that shot themselves in the foot. For my part, I was in a sold-out auditorium opening day, laughing my ass off. Audiences loved it. Critics loved it. The movie didn't perform at the box office? That's the studio's problem, and they only have themselves to blame. I think the movie shouldn't have been pushed as a traditional summer blockbuster. Releasing it in fewer theaters would have been a good start. There was plenty the studio could have done to build up anticipation more slowly and deliberately. This movie never was gonna appeal to your typical summer blockbuster audience, and they didn't maximize its potential by playing to its strengths. But, a 15 million dollar opening for a movie about snakes on a plane is not too shabby, in my view. The predictions were WAY off, and in its own way, the movie lived up to the hype and then some. I think it's pretty stupid that the studio couldn't figure out how to capitalize on what went down during SoaP's opening weekend, because the movie really was a blast for everyone who actually saw it.