Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject1/3
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=199351&mesg_id=199522
199522, 1/3
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sun Jul-23-06 02:17 PM
>1. McNulty crashes his car into a pillar. gets out to
>remeasure the angle, then gets back into his car to hit it
>again.

Ah yes, a "McNulty as a self-destructive drunk" comedic moment. As to why I didn't put it on, to me it seems like an extended version of the scene from Season 1 where Jimmy is getting drunk, alone, in his car, parked in the rain, then sees a couple kids about to carjack a ride or two, gets out his car, yells, "police", and then stumbles down a hill in the process. To me that perfectly represents Bunks's later characterization of McNulty, "when he ain't policing, he's a picture postcard of a drunken, self-destructive fuckup. And when he is policing, it's pretty much the same motherfucker, but on a good case." Anyway, the car crash also gets points deducted in my book for featuring the one technical aspect of The Wire I've never liked: when they switch the picture to something that looks like a handheld camcorder. I don't have the chops to give it a proper name, but as Jimmy hits the pillar a second time, the look of the scene changes to something cheap and takes away some from the screen. So it's an alright scene, just not a favorite of mine.

Also, I think Jimmy had a better comedic moment when he walked into the detail as the group was discussing who should go undercover at the brothel, "takes a whore to catch a whore."

>2. Ziggy and a duck enter a bar...

Until Ziggy grabbed a gun, I didn't have a favorite Ziggy moment.

>3. Brother Muzzone and Cheese meet.

Yeah, as Myno pointed out, it's there (with similar phrasing too). That was definitely an "oh shit" moment. I rewound that instantly. What's great is that Meth thought he was about to sneak a punch by Mouzone. Instead, Mouzone got him before dude could even extend his arm. Happened in rapid fashion, kinda surprised me.