Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Wire Season 2: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=199351
199351, The Wire Season 2: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 05:21 PM
So, like I did with Season 1 earlier this year, after finally watching Season 2 in full, I compiled a list of what I thought were the 25 best "moments" of those particular five discs. Just a quick SPOILER note, I'm not a spoiler-stickler, and though I haven't seen it, I already know the major turn of Season 3. However, some others may not be so lax, so just to be careful, put a little disclaimer if you're gonna spill anything too big. Also, if you haven't seen Season 2 and wanna be surprised, backspace now.

First, before the list, let me try and do the obvious and address which season I liked best. If you'll recall, while doing my first 25 moments, I said that I had seen the premier of Season 2 and was disappointed in comparison to the 13 episodes which had come before. I wasn't big on the international smuggling angle and Ziggy's character was piss poor in my then-estimation. Well, I eventually got hooked on the smuggling side but Ziggy's character never really did anything for me--that is until Episode 10 when he grabbed the gun. With that turn of events, every scene he had previously been featured in (pulling out his dick, getting caught up with Cheese, putting diamonds on a duck, the Love Child, etc.) all of a sudden fit so much better and seemed more than justified.

Was it better though? I guess I can see why people would say it could be. It's kinda the Godfather / II theory, where both are great, but since the sequel involves a lot more pieces and a more intricate plot, while both pull of their execution brilliantly, since the sequel is more complex and thus harder to master in telling a story, that it accomplished as much as did is testament to it being "better." However, until I see Season 2 at least twice, like I have with Season 1, I'm gonna hold off on any big statements.

Just a couple quick comments on what the show did really well this season: Although Season 1 featured some of this, the color schemes / art direction in several instances were simply amazing. For instance, there was a shot of Jimmy talking with the "nun" and trying to ID the letter of one of the dead girls. In that shot, Jimmy's on the right, in black, with the sister, in softer colors on the left. In between them is a table in the foreground, and, in the back, a cross. The table is made of what appears to be a white marble, while the windows behind both actors have frost covering them, with appropriate white curtains slightly draping over. Anyway, if you have a chance--Episode 3 maybe--go back, find the scene, and pause. The staging there, like in many of the episodes, was so meticulous and ultimately more than worth the effort . . . Also, a greater number of scenes were transitioned to by a reference from the previous scene. This seemed to happen more early on, but was still a cool little trick. . . . While I really liked Bunk in Season 1, I was happy he got an expanded role. His cigar in Season 2, like Omar's shotgun in Season 1, was the show's most "iconic" prop.

Just a couple quick notes on some "problems" I had with the show: the FBI mole, who relayed inside information to the Greeks and actually helped push the action on the screen in significant ways multiple times, bothered me. It really seemed like the type of "just so happens" coincidence more fitting of a show like 24. (Don't get me wrong, I still love 24 too, I just hold both shows to different standards.) Also, I'm no prison expert, but wouldn't there be video in such a facility to know that D didn't kill himself or that Tillman had been set up?

Finally, has anyone ever tried to compile all the songs the show has ever played in a nice juicy RAR package, or at least a credits list? Just like in Season 1, the music remained an integral part. Blake Leyh--I googled--is as much as part of this show's success as any other. . . Or how 'bout has anyone ever tossed around the idea of doing a prequel? Like how Avon and Stringer and them took over The Towers before Season 1 ever started? Just a thought.

All right, now here's the list.

The Wire Season 2: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.

25. MCNULTY HAS A THEORY (EPISODE 3: HOT SHOTS)
Bunk and Lester get ahead of Jimmy.

24. DATE NIGHT (EPISODE 6: ALL PROLOGUE)
Jimmy and Elena get back together, for one night at least.

23. THE WIVES (EPISODE 4: HARD CASES)
Bad news at dinner.

22. SON-IN-LAW / FATHER-IN-LAW (EPISODE 10: STORM WARNINGS)
Prez punches Valcheck.

21. STRAY BULLET (EPISODE 9: STRAY ROUNDS)
Boy shot in bedroom.

20. IBS BACKTALK (EPISODE 5: UNDERTOW)
Frank and Johnny Fifty receive their summonses.

19. PELLETS IN PLASTIC (EPISODE 10: STORM WARNINGS)
Mouzone and Cheese meet.

18. NO ENGLISH (EPISODE 3: HOT SHOTS)
Bunk and Lester question passengers.

17. BEADIE'S PLACE (EPISODE 8: DUCK AND COVER)
McNulty's visit back to reality.

16. CARNATION ARRANGEMENT (EPISODE 7: BACKWASH)
Bodie buys flowers.

15. BAD PACKAGE (EPISODE 3: HOT SHOTS)
Avon's set-Up.

14. CITY LINES (EPISODE 1: EBB TIDE)
McNulty makes a fax.

13. REPORT OF A SHOOTING (EPISODE 11: BAD DREAMS)
Omar and Mouzone meet.

12. NICK TALKS (EPISODE 12: PORT IN A STORM)
"That's The Greek."

11. MODERN URBAN CRIME ENVIRONMENT (EPISODE 7: BACKWASH)
A tennis ball goes flying.

10. FLOATER IN PATAPSCO (EPISODE 12: PORT IN A STORM)
Frank winds up in the water.

09. GREAT GASTBY (EPISODE 6: ALL PROLOGUE)
Prison book club.

08. FATHER-SON VISITATION (EPISODE 11: BAD DREAMS)
"Fucked is what I am."

07. I'M AN XL (EPISODE 3: HOT SHOTS)
Stringer cracks and goes for D's girl.

06. TANG (EPISODE 7: BACKWASH)
Frank and Bruce DiBiago talk.

05. FINAL CALLS (EPISODE 6: ALL PROLOGUE)
D'Angelo is strangled.

04. OMAR TESTIFIES (EPISODE 6: ALL PROLOGUE)
"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."

03. US (EPISODE 12: PORT IN A STORM)
Stringer and Avon at the window.

02. THE GREEK ENTERS (EPISODE 2: COLLATERAL DAMAGE)
"You Have My Word."

01. MALAKA (EPISODE 10: STORM WARNINGS)
Ziggy shoots.
199352, Season 1 list reposted
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 05:22 PM
Which still happens to be alive:
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=145443&mesg_id=145443&listing_type=search

The Wire Season 1: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.

25. N.WARWICK & LONGWOOD (EPISODE 11: THE HUNT)
Rawls adjusts the street signs.

24. SCAVENGER HUNT (EPISODE 9: GAME DAY)
"Follow the money."

23. BOTTLES & TVS (EPISODE 2: THE DETAIL)
The Terrace fights back.

22. GOLDEN GLOVES (EPISODE 3: THE BUYS)
Lester Freamon finds a picture.

21. THE RED HAT (EPISODE 2: THE DETAIL)
Surveillance courtesy of Bubbs.

20. CHESS NOT CHECKERS (EPISODE 3: THE BUYS)
"The king stay the king."

19. HOOD ORNAMENT (EPISODE 6: THE WIRE)
Wallace sees the body.

18. REESE'S AND A CAN OF TEA (EPISODE 7: ONE ARREST)
Eye-patch kid sees Prez.

17. WAYLAN SPEAKS (EPISODE 7: ONE ARREST)
Narcotics Anonymous meeting.

16. THAT NOISE (EPISODE 10: THE COST)
Crickets in the country.

15. AVON VISITS BROTHER (EPISODE 5: THE PAGER)
"A little late, a little slow."

14. $150,000 IN THE SAFE (EPISODE 12: CLEANING UP)
Avon & Stringer wait to be arrested.

13. DEAD SOLDIERS (EPISODE 3: THE BUYS)
Bubbs critiques Sydnor's addict attire.

12. THE ONE YOU KNOW ABOUT (EPISODE 4: OLD CASES)
D'Angelo's version of Deidre's death.

11. FRONT AND FOLLOW (EPISODE 8: Lessons)
McNulty's kids' spy game.

10. A CITIZEN'S DEAD (EPISODE 2: THE DETAIL)
D'Angelo writes a letter.

09. OMAR LURKS IN THE DARK (EPISODE 8: Lessons)
"You come at the king, you best not miss."

08. THE MAN WHO INVENTED MCNUGGETS (EPISODE 2: THE DETAIL)
"Hey, Mr. Nugget, you the bomb!"

07. FUCK, FUCK (EPISODE 4: OLD CASES)
McNulty and Bunk investigate the crime scene.

06. WEE BEY'S AQUARIUM (EPISODE 11: THE HUNT)
The fish and D'Angelo's nerves.

05. SNOT (EPISODE 1: THE TARGET)
"You call the guy 'Snot'?"

04. OFFICER DOWN (EPISODE 10: THE COST)
"This got the right feel for you?"

03. D'ANGELO'S CONFESSONS (EPISODE 13: SENTENCING)
Butch Stanford.

02. WALLACE'S DEATH (EPISODE 12: CLEANING UP)
"That's us, man."

01. STEP BY STEP (EPISODE 13: SENTENCING)
Smart and well-rounded final minutes of one of the best seasons of scripted television.
204915, RE: Season 1 list reposted
Posted by The Commish, Thu Aug-10-06 10:05 PM
>
>20. CHESS NOT CHECKERS (EPISODE 3: THE BUYS)
>"The king stay the king."

shit wouldve been closer to #1 on my list, theres was mad knowledge being spit in that chess match.
205120, just finished S1
Posted by will_5198, Fri Aug-11-06 04:37 PM
good work on these.

>23. BOTTLES & TVS (EPISODE 2: THE DETAIL)
>The Terrace fights back.

I thought this scene was incredible...Herc and Carver trying to stir up some shit with their tough guy tactics and nearly get killed

it was like Barksdale was proclaiming that the scare tactics you use on corners won't work here, we OWN these towers

>14. $150,000 IN THE SAFE (EPISODE 12: CLEANING UP)
>Avon & Stringer wait to be arrested.

>09. OMAR LURKS IN THE DARK (EPISODE 8: Lessons)
>"You come at the king, you best not miss."

that was ill; though I think my fav Omar moment from Season 1 is when he's talking with Greggs and McNulty in the office and he's explaining how a man like himself isn't gonna run forever (paraphrased)

"after 9 years in the game, your name gonna ring out"
"so anybody coming after Omar..."
"better know that Omar is coming after them first"
"oh fo sure."

Omar is King

>07. FUCK, FUCK (EPISODE 4: OLD CASES)
>McNulty and Bunk investigate the crime scene.

that scene was so brilliant I can't even justly comment on it
199359, i didn't see my fav moment
Posted by Calico, Sat Jul-22-06 05:45 PM
when Omar is on the witness stand.....

and if i was Stringer, i couldn't have denied ole girl either...she is dope...

...bunk in the "regular clothes" and dude hittin his dumbass father in law was cool...

...dammit this show is great...
199363, RE: i didn't see my fav moment
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 05:52 PM
>when Omar is on the witness stand.....

04. OMAR TESTIFIES (EPISODE 6: ALL PROLOGUE)
"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase."

>and if i was Stringer, i couldn't have denied ole girl
>either...she is dope...

When he told her that he was an XL, I thought he was actually gonna do it. But he cracked (can't blame him), but previously he had been about business every second it seemed. What he started with D's girl, something Avon would have never approved, spiraled downhill by having D killed and connecting w/ Prop Joe w/out the Barksdale stamp of approval.

>...bunk in the "regular clothes" and dude hittin his dumbass
>father in law was cool...

Yeah, I got the second one (Prez punches Valcheck) in there.

Bunk's sweats were a nice continuation of his lacrosse past that had been brought up first season.

>...dammit this show is great...

yup . . . and I get to Season 3 in a couple weeks.
199365, it's #4
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jul-22-06 05:54 PM
that's my favorite too

"Mr. Little, how does a man rob drug dealers for eight or nine years and live to tell about it?"

"Day at a time, I suppose"

and then they cut right into the opening theme song...beautiful
199373, Omar did a good job of provoking Bird too.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 06:03 PM
You got Bird there, polished, in suit and tie, all serious like. Then you have Omar, with his tie thrown in, being Omar, not really dressing himself up. But then he provokes Bird to try and jump the desk and really showed the jury that dude wasn't who he was pretending to be.

Plus Bird's reaction to the judge asking him if he was the second coming was a great touch.
199362, this is kinda what Simon was shooting for in Season 4
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jul-22-06 05:50 PM
>Or how 'bout has anyone
>ever tossed around the idea of doing a prequel? Like how Avon
>and Stringer and them took over The Towers before Season 1
>ever started? Just a thought.

not the Barksdales in particular, but kids growing up and turning into dealers
199371, That's what they're filming now, right?
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 06:00 PM
>>Or how 'bout has anyone
>>ever tossed around the idea of doing a prequel? Like how
>Avon
>>and Stringer and them took over The Towers before Season 1
>>ever started? Just a thought.
>
>not the Barksdales in particular, but kids growing up and
>turning into dealers

Didn't we see that in Season 1 though, with Wallace and Poot, for instance? How Wallace got got and someone filled his shoes . . . the kids Wallace was watching w/out family, turning the drug game into their group home . . . people moved from lookout to hand-to-hands to being in charge of a turf?

It's just that at the funeral it's stressed by Stringer to Joe how Avon's team had to go to war for the Towers. I thought that could be turned into something pretty cool. Maybe end it with D'Angelo shooting dude in building lobby.
199378, also, in season 3, he illustrates how Avon came to power
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jul-22-06 06:08 PM
he just does it indirectly

Simon's been asked about Avon and String's backstory and he pointed to the events of season 3.
199366, I also loved the Avon package set up scene
Posted by will_5198, Sat Jul-22-06 05:56 PM
the whole prison going crazy over the bad coke and he's just cold chillin in his bed reading a book
199379, War's Cisco Kid was a great choice of music there.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 06:09 PM
A cool out and relax song that captured Avon's swagger perfectly while, as you say, the whole prison is in pandemonium.
199369, this was my exact experience with Ziggy
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jul-22-06 05:59 PM
>Ziggy's character was piss
>poor in my then-estimation. Well, I eventually got hooked on
>the smuggling side but Ziggy's character never really did
>anything for me--that is until Episode 10 when he grabbed the
>gun. With that turn of events, every scene he had previously
>been featured in (pulling out his dick, getting caught up with
>Cheese, putting diamonds on a duck, the Love Child, etc.) all
>of a sudden fit so much better and seemed more than
>justified.

It's good to see that visitation scene with Frank and Ziggy on your list. especially where Frank has to watch helplessly as his scrawny son is led away amidst all these other prisoners. You just know he doesn't stand a chance.

What I'm surprised to NOT see on your list is Ziggy's confession to Jay where he's going over the details of the murder. In a way it seems like he's grown up for a second and is realizing the severity of what he did, but it's really his last ditch attempt to be seen by someone as 'that' guy ("man, that ziggy is hardcore. don't fuck with him")
199382, hmmm
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 06:19 PM
>What I'm surprised to NOT see on your list is Ziggy's
>confession to Jay where he's going over the details of the
>murder. In a way it seems like he's grown up for a second and
>is realizing the severity of what he did, but it's really his
>last ditch attempt to be seen by someone as 'that' guy ("man,
>that ziggy is hardcore. don't fuck with him")

I guess I really didn't see that. What I took away from that scene was that Ziggy was broken down to this frail shaky character, who knew he was in shit and ready to (quickly) accept his fate. I didn't really see any of the posturing that he had made a living with earlier. Like, the epitome of his posturing, IMO, was when he tried to threaten the corner dealer (the white guy) for not giving him all his money. He started talking like how he'd imagine a tough guy would, saying, "don't fuck with me." And I guess I just really didn't see any of that machismo or arrogance in the scene w/ Jay. If anything, I felt that scene was rushed, but if you think about how this new Ziggy was playing things, ready to accept his position at the lower end of life, it seemed appropriate to me.

Anyway, I'll check for it during my eventual repeat viewing.
199386, that's the thing... there was no machismo or arrogance there
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jul-22-06 06:31 PM
Ziggy was always trying to prove himself and failing miserably. Ironically, it took Ziggy actually doing something hardcore for him to admit to himself what a joke he really was. But there was still that part of him that wanted so badly to be respected. Him wanting to note in his confession that this kid he killed begged for his life, was a whimpering attemp to solidify his legacy. It's some sad shit.
199405, great point.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 07:51 PM
>Ziggy was always trying to prove himself and failing
>miserably. Ironically, it took Ziggy actually doing something
>hardcore for him to admit to himself what a joke he really
>was. But there was still that part of him that wanted so badly
>to be respected. Him wanting to note in his confession that
>this kid he killed begged for his life, was a whimpering
>attemp to solidify his legacy. It's some sad shit.
>

You win this one, Mynoriti, you win this one.

I just rewatched the confession scene and noticed a couple more cool things about it.

1. Great use of smoke. Both Jay and Ziggy are smoking, and the effect of the smoke hovering in the air between and around them makes for a great visual look.

2. Ziggy is essentially crying through the whole thing, eyes all red, distraught, which plays into your reading well.

3. When Ziggy tells Jay that he wants to change "said" to "begged", Jay's reaction shot is priceless, like, "this dumb motherfucker." And then he tells him, that's good, "it's more descriptive that way."
199380, Ziggy had to be one of the dumbest, self loathing guys EVER
Posted by Calico, Sat Jul-22-06 06:10 PM
he was ALWAYS doin the wrong thing...but the diamond duck thing was damned funny..

...and just a side TMI note....Nick Sabotka's girlfriend's boobs were damn near perfect.....
199381, this definitely belongs on the list
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jul-22-06 06:15 PM
>...and just a side TMI note....Nick Sabotka's girlfriend's
>boobs were damn near perfect.....
199383, Kristin Proctor.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 06:23 PM
I googled that after the scene in question.

>>...and just a side TMI note....Nick Sabotka's girlfriend's
>>boobs were damn near perfect.....

The first time, at the hair salon place, I remember thinking "oh there's an ordinary girl. Nick could to better." By the time they wake up in bed later and she's changing shirts, I just remember blinking a bunch of times. Later on, Episode 7 maybe, she proved she had nice legs too.

Callie Thorne (Elena) more than impressed me as well.

Sidenote: the waitress Jimmy does the drunken hookup with has a myspace page (and one of the busiest pages I've ever seen).
199392, RE: Kristin Proctor.
Posted by Nopayne, Sat Jul-22-06 06:45 PM

>Sidenote: the waitress Jimmy does the drunken hookup with has
>a myspace page (and one of the busiest pages I've ever seen).

Link?
===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.
199408, be warned
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 07:54 PM
>
>>Sidenote: the waitress Jimmy does the drunken hookup with
>has
>>a myspace page (and one of the busiest pages I've ever
>seen).
>
>
>Link?

http://www.myspace.com/lillisa739

That may freeze up your computer (it did for me). It's basically a busy bisexual, emo, dyed hair mess.
204864, RE: be warned
Posted by TheWaitressBitch, Thu Aug-10-06 05:59 PM
This is Me Lisa the Bisexual/ Emo/ Dyed hair mess. You must have me on your mind if you took the time to look me up and post my link in this gay ass forum!!! INTERNET GEEKS WHO TALK IN GAY FORUMS GET OFF IT!!!!!! My hair was Dyed when I did the show.... and I'm not EMO!!! I have a busy page because I'm HOT and SEXY. I think I may have denied your friend reqest or something?? Anyway your lame. HIGHSCHOOL is over buddy don't be bitter cuz you're Fat, Bald, and Geeky.... And I'm the New Cancer, Never Looked Better and you Can't Stand it!!! Grow some Balls and come say something to me. And ricky is a lil boy's name DICK! Anyone else come see my Myspace profile... and I'm sure you'll amazed like my other 900 friends. BYE.
204893, ^^No Vaseline
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Thu Aug-10-06 07:47 PM
lol

$3,000 and you couldn't afford a wax job?
204938, ^^fat bald geek with a little boys name
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Aug-10-06 11:19 PM
204937, Wow.
Posted by kurlyswirl, Thu Aug-10-06 11:16 PM
If you're so awesome, don't you have something better to do with your time than creating an account just to beef with "INTERNET GEEKS WHO TALK IN GAY FORUMS"? How did you even find this post? Do you Google your name to see who's talking about how "HOT and SEXY" you are?
204940, lol awesome
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Aug-10-06 11:20 PM
205036, I'm crying
Posted by Bo_De_Ga, Fri Aug-11-06 12:20 PM
too funny
205086, I think it's a joke.
Posted by kurlyswirl, Fri Aug-11-06 02:07 PM
"Her" profile says "male." A reference to the 'stache, maybe? :-p

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl
205097, nah, I think it's legit
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Aug-11-06 02:44 PM
or maybe I just want to believe someone SO famous posted here
205314, Either way its awesome
Posted by Bo_De_Ga, Sat Aug-12-06 06:52 PM
*sends friend request*

>"Her" profile says "male." A reference to the 'stache, maybe?
>:-p
>
>
>~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>
>kurly's Super-Duper Awesome DVD Collection:
>http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl
205340, I just fell out of my chair!!!!!! Thanks MySpace whore.
Posted by JRennolds, Sat Aug-12-06 11:45 PM
Seriously, she came in here to post that? Too fucking funny!
210753, wow, this is the most obscure alias ever
Posted by tappenzee, Wed Aug-30-06 12:10 PM
199394, i was a lil jealous of the wake up scene
Posted by Calico, Sat Jul-22-06 06:56 PM
i mean, he was just holding that lovely titty....
199409, RE: Kristin Proctor.
Posted by Numba_33, Sat Jul-22-06 07:56 PM
>Sidenote: the waitress Jimmy does the drunken hookup with has
>a myspace page (and one of the busiest pages I've ever seen).

The first time, and I guess second time I saw that scene, I was impressed with how the waitress moved her hips in the sack. The third time around, I was mistified by her mustache. I'm hoping that was make-up on the show's part.
204870, RE: Kristin Proctor.
Posted by TheWaitressBitch, Thu Aug-10-06 06:06 PM
And Kristin you may just be a fat whore with nothing better to do.... Hate me all you want but I don't see no one offering you $3,000 and a spot in the S.A.G. union for your nasty ass??? Anyone wanna see kristin proctor naked??? Anyone??? Get a life. You all know where to find me and yes you are all going on my myspace wall of shame.
204942, ^^Magnum's mad yo
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Aug-10-06 11:25 PM
208840, RE: ^^Magnum's mad yo
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-24-06 10:20 AM
Oh shit, I didn't get that until now; a full two weeks later.
205213, Is this the first time PTP snark has actually been answered?
Posted by Nopayne, Fri Aug-11-06 10:23 PM

===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.
208876, RE: Is this the first time PTP snark has actually been answered?
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-24-06 11:58 AM
How should I take it that someone thinks I'm Karen Proctor?

**edit**
Whoops, Kristen Proctor.
205159, this is why I love this site
Posted by Mgmt, Fri Aug-11-06 07:14 PM
Someone else noticed Nick Sobotka's girl. I thought it was just me.
205228, Listen to the commentary on season two
Posted by MadDagoNH, Sat Aug-12-06 01:21 AM
Because Dominic West and Michael K. Williams definitely noticed it too.

Williams specifically talked about her titties...they loved that shit.

That's one of the best commentaries I've ever heard.

----------------
"You know how they say that it ain't over till the fat lady sings? Here, it ain't over till the big man swings."
-Coco Crisp
205316, cotdamn i'm trying to keep my money in my pocket
Posted by Mgmt, Sat Aug-12-06 07:08 PM
205323, RE: cotdamn i'm trying to keep my money in my pocket
Posted by Numba_33, Sat Aug-12-06 08:29 PM
If you buy Season Two on DVD, don't do it because of the commentary of Dominic West and Michael K. Williams. I was pretty bad and unforgetable.
205331, Ok cool
Posted by Mgmt, Sat Aug-12-06 10:25 PM
I have the ISOs of the featureless DVDS on my PC right now.
199407, RE: The Wire Season 2: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.
Posted by Numba_33, Sat Jul-22-06 07:54 PM
One scene that I think should be up there is when the stumpy fat dude from the docks steals the Police Survielance van right from the Police parking lot. Dude was even bold enough to salute a passing cop while he was in the van after popping the lock.

And Stringer fucking with D's girl STILL bothers me more than him killing D. Partly because of the bros before hoes credo, and partly because I'm guessing Stringer is about 8-10 years older than Donnette. Funnily enough, if you check Season One when D and his girl go to Avon's Thanksgiving dinner, watch how Stringer takes Donnette's hand (at least I think that's her name) and twirls her around.
199412, RE: The Wire Season 2: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jul-22-06 08:00 PM
>One scene that I think should be up there is when the stumpy
>fat dude from the docks steals the Police Survielance van
>right from the Police parking lot. Dude was even bold enough
>to salute a passing cop while he was in the van after popping
>the lock.

Horseface.

Ehh, I actually got a little tired of the Valcheck-opens-his-mail running gag for a while, until the finale at least. That part of the plot was good for drawing out Valcheck's anger more and more, but it wasn't 25-worthy IMO.

>And Stringer fucking with D's girl STILL bothers me more than
>him killing D. Partly because of the bros before hoes credo

Yeah, I guess you could justify killing D as a business move, but no similar justification could be made for getting after his girl.

>Funnily enough, if you check Season One
>when D and his girl go to Avon's Thanksgiving dinner, watch
>how Stringer takes Donnette's hand (at least I think that's
>her name) and twirls her around.

I do actually remember that. Doesn't he say something about putting meat on her bones too? I wonder if the writers were meaning to foreshadow that far in advance or just trying to explain to the audience that String was a suave dude.
199445, Maybe these are there, but I'm not seeing them
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Jul-22-06 11:38 PM
1. McNulty crashes his car into a pillar. gets out to remeasure the angle, then gets back into his car to hit it again.

2. Ziggy and a duck enter a bar...

3. Brother Muzzone and Cheese meet.
199455, Fact that Jimmy was drunkenly singing along to the Pogues...
Posted by MadDagoNH, Sun Jul-23-06 01:00 AM
Made that scene even better. Drunken Irishman singing drunken Irish music doing drunken Irish things.

----------------
Azzurri: Campioni del Mondo 2006

"We didn’t want to organise anything beforehand, as only the British celebrate second place."
- Gennaro Gattuso, World Cup Champion.
199457, #19
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jul-23-06 01:04 AM
>3. Brother Muzzone and Cheese meet.
199473, RE: Maybe these are there, but I'm not seeing them
Posted by DredScott, Sun Jul-23-06 04:48 AM
>1. McNulty crashes his car into a pillar. gets out to
>remeasure the angle, then gets back into his car to hit it
>again.

one of the best scenes of season 2...

shit was too fucking funny.

199522, 1/3
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sun Jul-23-06 02:17 PM
>1. McNulty crashes his car into a pillar. gets out to
>remeasure the angle, then gets back into his car to hit it
>again.

Ah yes, a "McNulty as a self-destructive drunk" comedic moment. As to why I didn't put it on, to me it seems like an extended version of the scene from Season 1 where Jimmy is getting drunk, alone, in his car, parked in the rain, then sees a couple kids about to carjack a ride or two, gets out his car, yells, "police", and then stumbles down a hill in the process. To me that perfectly represents Bunks's later characterization of McNulty, "when he ain't policing, he's a picture postcard of a drunken, self-destructive fuckup. And when he is policing, it's pretty much the same motherfucker, but on a good case." Anyway, the car crash also gets points deducted in my book for featuring the one technical aspect of The Wire I've never liked: when they switch the picture to something that looks like a handheld camcorder. I don't have the chops to give it a proper name, but as Jimmy hits the pillar a second time, the look of the scene changes to something cheap and takes away some from the screen. So it's an alright scene, just not a favorite of mine.

Also, I think Jimmy had a better comedic moment when he walked into the detail as the group was discussing who should go undercover at the brothel, "takes a whore to catch a whore."

>2. Ziggy and a duck enter a bar...

Until Ziggy grabbed a gun, I didn't have a favorite Ziggy moment.

>3. Brother Muzzone and Cheese meet.

Yeah, as Myno pointed out, it's there (with similar phrasing too). That was definitely an "oh shit" moment. I rewound that instantly. What's great is that Meth thought he was about to sneak a punch by Mouzone. Instead, Mouzone got him before dude could even extend his arm. Happened in rapid fashion, kinda surprised me.
199527, I would say my favorite Ziggy moment
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-23-06 02:25 PM
>Until Ziggy grabbed a gun, I didn't have a favorite Ziggy
>moment.

is when Cheese burns his car
208847, RE: I would say my favorite Ziggy moment
Posted by gmltheone, Thu Aug-24-06 10:42 AM
>>Until Ziggy grabbed a gun, I didn't have a favorite Ziggy
>>moment.
>
>is when Cheese burns his car

Nick: Zig, I got some good news and bad news.
Zig: Fuck, give me the bad news
Nick: They're still going to kill you. They're just going to wait a week to do it
Zig: What's the good news?
Nick: You can cancel your car insurance.

LOL

----------------------------
"I like John Green, he's real," Artest said. "I don't have any problems with John Green. He did something really stupid but a lot of people do stupid things. God forgives, so I'm forgiving too."
208875, I have to disagree
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-24-06 11:57 AM
>>Until Ziggy grabbed a gun, I didn't have a favorite Ziggy
>>moment.
>
>is when Cheese burns his car

In my not so humble opinion, the better scene involving Ziggy and his car was when he initially robbed. If I rememeber the scene correctly, the corner kid hustled Ziggy out of the money he was owed for investing on the g-pack with White Mike. Then as he was barely gonna drive away, Method and crew corner him. Ziggy offers his expensive leather coat, Method tosses it to the ground and then his car gets jacked. And all of this happened as the corner kid watched. Great stuff.

And someone correct me, but didn't this happen before the opening credits?
208896, It did...
Posted by gmltheone, Thu Aug-24-06 12:54 PM
>>>Until Ziggy grabbed a gun, I didn't have a favorite Ziggy
>>>moment.
>>
>>is when Cheese burns his car
>
>In my not so humble opinion, the better scene involving Ziggy
>and his car was when he initially robbed. If I rememeber the
>scene correctly, the corner kid hustled Ziggy out of the money
>he was owed for investing on the g-pack with White Mike. Then
>as he was barely gonna drive away, Method and crew corner him.
>Ziggy offers his expensive leather coat, Method tosses it to
>the ground and then his car gets jacked. And all of this
>happened as the corner kid watched. Great stuff.
>
>And someone correct me, but didn't this happen before the
>opening credits?

They do that exceptionally well.

"I like John Green, he's real," Artest said. "I don't have any problems with John Green. He did something really stupid but a lot of people do stupid things. God forgives, so I'm forgiving too."
199524, oh yeah cosign on Ziggy
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-23-06 02:25 PM
I really wanted him to fall off a bridge for the first 3/4 of the season
204887, My #1? Brother "Moves-on" blasts Cheese
Posted by JRennolds, Thu Aug-10-06 07:05 PM
No lies.
204895, I saw your reply in that other post
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Thu Aug-10-06 07:48 PM
Did you finish S2 yet?

SIDENOTE: I sold my copy last week . . .
204953, No, I still have two eps to go and I'm hoping Omar does shit...
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Aug-11-06 12:23 AM
So far though, I stick by this moment and Sabatko's son losing it on GG and murking him.
205186, Update: Damn, final two eps. made the season, THE SEASON!
Posted by JRennolds, Fri Aug-11-06 08:19 PM
Frank gets murked, the "Greek" flees, Omar via blind guy starts to get down and Stringer Bell gets dissed by Avon. I previewed Season 3 and am counting down the minutes before it is re-upped on ON DEMAND. I don't know how they're going to top 2 but as long as they stick to the street stuff (it looks like they do), isht will be fire!
204923, Great list yo.
Posted by BlacKnightSC, Thu Aug-10-06 10:33 PM
Just cause of this, imma revisit both season next week.
204939, I came in this post just to say....
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Aug-10-06 11:20 PM
I was on the train with Lt. Daniels last night. He's tall as SHIT. He said this season is totally different (as we all know). He also told me that his character is returning for the 4th season. I then left him and went on my way.
212539, oh my god
Posted by Damali, Tue Sep-05-06 08:58 AM
what train? there's something about the way that man stands/walks...back straight; head up. just wow. i get way too excited when he comes on the screen. lol

d

~~~ Technical difficulties. Stay tuned - there's more to see ~~~
204960, I'm about to call this list worthless
Posted by Mgmt, Fri Aug-11-06 01:20 AM
Wait, was that "Walk the Line" montage during Season 2? You know, the one where Prez is making a chart where all the pieces of the case come together over that song "Walk the Line."

If that was season 2, and I think it was, and you left it out - then fuck your list and fuck this thread.
204962, I was about to post about the lack of the "Walk the Line" montage
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Aug-11-06 01:24 AM

>If that was season 2, and I think it was, and you left it out
>- then fuck your list and fuck this thread.

Well, that's a little unecessarily harsh and extreme. But it should have been included.
205158, I was kidding of course
Posted by Mgmt, Fri Aug-11-06 07:11 PM
but I do feel strongly about it.
205125, This posts confirms it...
Posted by okaycomputer, Fri Aug-11-06 05:04 PM
Season 2 is my favorite.

Though I'm only 2/3 through season 3.

I need to set aside a day to watch them all over again before season 4 starts.

you used to be alright
what the hell happened?
205126, Season 3 has a great final 1/3
Posted by will_5198, Fri Aug-11-06 05:05 PM
205143, I'm on Season 3 Ep 10 as we speak
Posted by MadDagoNH, Fri Aug-11-06 05:59 PM
Got the set yesterday, and I'm naturally loving it again.

I can't wait to get to the features...it's nice to see a little more as that goes this time around.

And I think as good as Cutty and Marlo are as characters, I gotta say Slim Charles is my favorite new character. Dude's got a brain, he's fierce, and he even has his principles.

----------------
"You know how they say that it ain't over till the fat lady sings? Here, it ain't over till the big man swings."
-Coco Crisp
205232, I like Slim Charles too
Posted by YourUserName, Sat Aug-12-06 01:40 AM

>And I think as good as Cutty and Marlo are as characters, I
>gotta say Slim Charles is my favorite new character. Dude's
>got a brain, he's fierce, and he even has his principles.

It's amazing how "we fight on that lie" summed up the war in iraq, and war in general. It was simple and brilliant.

Also, the guy that plays him is somewhat of a street legend in these here parts (MD/DC/VA).
205369, doesn't he currently have a go-go band and shit?
Posted by will_5198, Sun Aug-13-06 01:34 AM
>Also, the guy that plays him is somewhat of a street legend in
>these here parts (MD/DC/VA).
205370, doesn't he currently have a go-go band and shit?
Posted by will_5198, Sun Aug-13-06 01:35 AM
>Also, the guy that plays him is somewhat of a street legend in
>these here parts (MD/DC/VA).
208997, RE: I'm on Season 3 Ep 10 as we speak
Posted by will_lenmore, Thu Aug-24-06 06:47 PM
One of my favourite scenes in tv history was performed by Slim Charles.

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

In season 3 episode 9 around the 15 minute mark, when he goes into a monologue after those two idiots fail to kill Omar and end up destroying her "church crown".

"on a sunday morning, y'all tried to hit a nigga when he taking his wrinkled ass grangma to pray!!! and y'all dont hit the nigga niether....."

I must have watched that scene alone a million times. The actor delivers that piece with absolute precision. It is simply astounding....

.........and now back to lurking.......

"we spend some much time debating on the cause,we fail to find the cure"

"you have two eyes,two ears and one mouth so look and listen before you speak"- J-Live
205162, sadly, the major turn has been spoiled for me....
Posted by okaycomputer, Fri Aug-11-06 07:21 PM
and I'm going to murder Jason Whitlock of espn.com because of it.

you used to be alright
what the hell happened?
205164, he's just a big fat turd whore
Posted by MadDagoNH, Fri Aug-11-06 07:24 PM
You'd be doing us all a favor.

----------------
-Coco Crisp
208846, Not a top 25th moment
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-24-06 10:39 AM
But another scene I remember is when Beatrice first meets Jay Landsman and instructs her on how a detective should dress. The way Jay describes Freaman in his 'tweedy impertience' and the Bunk with his 'pinstripe lawlerly' suits, AND the fact dude cocks his wrist ala Mr. Roper from Three's Company makes me laugh everytime I re-watch that episode.
208919, I love that scene, too. n/m
Posted by kurlyswirl, Thu Aug-24-06 02:06 PM

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

kurly's Super-Duper Awesome DVD Collection:
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kurlyswirl
208942, This one slipped by me until the third viewing...
Posted by gmltheone, Thu Aug-24-06 03:19 PM

>03. US (EPISODE 12: PORT IN A STORM)
>Stringer and Avon at the window.

Great scene. The foreshadowing for season 3. The subtle diss. Classic.

210864, When Bunk tells Zbotka those 14 girls were murdered
Posted by tappenzee, Wed Aug-30-06 04:20 PM
In the bar, and he's just blowing the cigar smoke and shaking his head. Shit looks intimidating as hell.

Maybe not top 25 worthy, but that was a cool scene.
210981, Not a top 25 but good scene nonetheless
Posted by doberman, Wed Aug-30-06 10:37 PM
is when Nick was mourning Ziggy in the last episode at the merry-go-round. His imitation of Zig was DEAD ON.

"COLLEGE KIDS AIN'T SHIT!!!"

You could just picture Zig saying that shit.
212283, RE: The Wire Season 2: 25 Best Moments / Scenes.
Posted by mienom, Mon Sep-04-06 09:41 AM
up
212542, my favorite scene/sequence from Season 2
Posted by Damali, Tue Sep-05-06 09:08 AM
in the episode COLLATERAL DAMAGE, I call it, "The Writing is on the Wall"

Rawls is in his office with the door shut trying to avoid taking on the 13 bodies from the can...Freamon, Bunk and the others wait outside in silence. The way they shot the scenes made it look like they were expectant fathers in hospital delivery room...the anticipation, Rawls peeking his head out to give a thumbs up...then finally, you see a woman standing on a chair, writing on the board the 13 Jane Doe's...you know their fate is sealed. it gave new meaning to the phrase 'the writing is on the wall'

d

~~~ Technical difficulties. Stay tuned - there's more to see ~~~
219074, Season three deserves the slick rick treatment soon enough...
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Sep-29-06 02:51 PM
453800, you want a streak or somethin? I'll put a little purple in it.....
Posted by Deebot, Thu May-28-09 01:23 AM
"yeah, and right after that I'll just go ahead and stick my tongue up some guy's ass"
660267, This will be an odd upage for sure
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Sep-09-13 09:22 AM
But is there any way for this thread to get archived?