Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: So Wordman's got some questions for Ryan M
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=181862&mesg_id=182503
182503, RE: So Wordman's got some questions for Ryan M
Posted by Ryan M, Wed May-17-06 04:16 PM
>1. What are your career goals?

Geez, hard hitting right off the bat huh? Honestly I don't know...I mean sure everyone wants to write and direct, but realistically? I just want to learn the ins and outs of everything. There are SO many jobs that people don't know about (like I didn't know what a music video coordinator was until 2 months ago) that are fascinating and quite well-paying. My short term goal is to get hired somewhere in music videos/commercials and just go from there, but nearly everyone I talk to in the industry didn't intend on ending up where they now are, but they love it (mostly).

>2. What "classic film" makes you want to vomit?

Hmmmm.

It's A Wonderful Life, I guess.

>3. (operating under the assumption you're in L.A. since you're
>making movies) Is Tom Hanks really THAT nice of a guy?

Yes, I'm in LA. All I hear about Tom Hanks is how great of a guy he is, so I'd have to say yes...although I don't know first hand.

>4. Are movies becoming a producer's medium?

They've been that way for some time. Well...I guess it's cyclical. The 70s brought us the director's medium (at least in America) but yeah, it's definitely always been producer driven.

>5. Now that you work in the movie biz, have movies lost their
>magic to you?

To some degree, yes. In others though, no...I can still get sucked in to an epic like King Kong or hell even a Robert Rodriguez film because he's so thrifty and innovative that it is still very much movie magic. It's hard to watch a film the same way I used to though.

>6. How important do you feel your film school training was?

I wouldn't have it any other way because aside from technical training, it tought me how to deal with people and the nonsensical egos that are so prevelant in the industry. Of course, now that I'm interning it would seem it woulda been better to hop right into all this out of high school and save myself 5 years, but I still had fun in school.

>7. The best and your favorite Bill Murray movie is...

Goddamn. Hmmm. Probably Ghostbusters and Rushmore.