Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectbetter late than neva
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=180608&mesg_id=186655
186655, better late than neva
Posted by B, Thu Jun-01-06 09:12 AM
finished it a week ago but haven't had time to post. it was an interesting book. one that you can read in chunks, but i think that if i read it straight thru, i would have gotten more. maybe not though, from some of your comments. it did feel a bit disjointed, but i took it for what it was - some interesting stuff, a bit connected. i like that he dealt w/ both sides of thin-slicing - when it can potentially work and potentially fail. i also liked how he made an attempt to bring it all together - like he kept going back to the statue from the opening story. even when it seemed like a bit of a stretch, it at least reminded me of the previous points and made me try to piece together some relations.

it was b/c of this that the end felt a bit empty. not that i expected a neat summary and a "what to do w/ this info" guide, but the symphony auditions didn't seem to capture everything. or maybe that was just me. the autism piece was interesting, but a bit forced i felt. he gave an example of how the autistic dude focussed in on key things that you wouldn't expect then took that theme and ran. there are other aspects to autism that may not have worked in well w/ his conclusion, but i got what he was trying to say, and i found the tunnel-vision concept pretty interesting. it's terrible that tragedies (diallo shooting) play out this way. i mean, how can you thin-slice the value of someone's life - which is essentially what happens when you have a gun in your hand. pull the trigger or not? crazy.

good book. if anyone's still reading (or waiting for the paperback - i see you), feel free to add on to this thread whenever you'd like. next book coming.

B

--
now playing: The African American Student's Guide to Excellence in College
on deck: another installment of Okaybooks
archives: Spoken Words | Move Over Girl

www.chance22.com
www.lionsstory.org
www.okayplayer.com/books