Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: I think she's saying
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=162914&mesg_id=162919
162919, RE: I think she's saying
Posted by CMcMurtry, Wed Mar-15-06 03:35 AM
>that Hollywood is made up of stereotypical lightweight
>liberals, that they aren't genuinley progressive. She's not
>saying discussion of racism is obsolete but that the broad and
>insultingly cursory insight into it that Crash offers would be
>clearly outdated to anyone who could genuinely claim to be
>progressive.

You got this out of "Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver."? For real?

That may be what you think (obviously, it is), but I do not think that is what she was saying.

Perhaps she wasn't refering to Crash, but the other nominees like Munich and Good Night..., both of which deal with historical issues. However, if so, then she's a retard, because though each deals with a story that is many years old, they're both quite relevant to what is going on now. Munich deals with the Middle East saga, and that sure hasn't changed much since the dates in the film, and Clooney's movie is very timely.

How can a comparison to a movie about "the debate over free silver" be logical and seen as anything but a dillusional woman angry she didn't win.

>In contrast Brokeback Mountain can tell a complex and
>unapolegitic story about a Gay relationship without resorting
>to the kind of broad "gay people are people too!" lessons
>movies like Philadelphia were obliged to over a decade ago.

Yawn.

>She's bitter about losing to a piece of shit, not losing in
>general. There's nothing wrong with that.

Sure there is. It's an award show. People lose. Don't be a fucking crybaby. Man the fuck up already.

> She'd probably be
>irked if she had nothing to do with the awards like a load of
>other people are. Cronenberg chimed in with the same sentiment
>last week.

No he didn't. He chimed in that he was upset he wasn't even nominated, and that he felt like that was because his film wasn't political enough for them, based on what did get the nod.