Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBrokeback Mountain's author's panties are in quite the bunch
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=162914&mesg_id=162914
162914, Brokeback Mountain's author's panties are in quite the bunch
Posted by CMcMurtry, Wed Mar-15-06 02:57 AM
'Brokeback' Author Slams Oscars

Brokeback Mountain author Annie Proulx has slated the Academy Awards for giving the Best Picture Oscar to Crash at this year's presentation ceremony. In an essay published by British newspaper The Guardian, Proulx describes voters as "out of touch" and "segregated" from current issues, and insists they were easily influenced by Crash's production company Lions Gate Entertainment. She writes, "Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumor has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of 'Trash' - excuse me, Crash - a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver."

1) This makes her look like quite the sore loser. Even if she thinks she was robbed, act like a professional for fuck's sake. I don't hear word one from Bennett Miller or Steven Spielberg, or anyone associated with either production. Why? Because they sucked it up, even though deep down I'm sure they too think their film was superior.

2) Is she suggesting Hollywood is anti-gay? Isn't Los Angeles one of those "queer cities" people in Middle America refer to when talking about homosexuals and evil liberals and what not? Now LA is off that list? So it's just New York and San Francisco?

3) Is she also suggesting that racism isn't a relevant issue anymore? Regardless of what you think about Crash and how Paul Haggis tackled the issue (I really don't want to reopen that can of worms), surely you'd admit a film dealing with that topic isn't archaic. Is racism no longer a pertinent part of North American culture?

I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, yet thanks to this cunt, I already hate it. Bravo.