Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI liked it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=157624&mesg_id=157697
157697, I liked it
Posted by Cork, Wed Mar-01-06 02:45 PM

>Yes, we know he's saying it to piss off Jules because he can,
>but that's what's disturbing about it. This guy being in this
>power position to repeatedly drop the n-word in Jackson's
>face, may seem clever to some people, and it is in a way, but
>for the most part, it's not much more than some silly white
>boy fantasy.

See, I don't know how you can start that paragraph teh way you do and then end it with that conclusion. I guess we have to establish first:

you are saying (and I agree with) that him saying DNS to Jules' face is his power play
you are saying that it is the character's, and NOT Tarantino's, silly white boy fantasy to say DNS to Jules' face.

If you are saying that, then I agree on the first part, and then by that established POV I disagree on the second part. This isn't a deep seated fantasy this man has, this is just the position he finds himself in on a random morning. He ha sbeen backed into an overwhelmingly impossible corner on this morning by two uninvited people, one he knows and one he doesn't, who HE KNOWS would kill him without hesitation if they feel they need to. He's desparate. He's cornered. He power trips the only way he knows he can, ESPECIALLY with having a black wife and (presumably) knowing her brother's/father's/uncle's disdain for white men uttering **THAT** word, and not only asserts himself to Jules but chooses to puncuate it with a vile epithet he knows Jules will pay attention to. Cocksucker and motherfucker just wouldn't do justice in this situation. Whether it was that concious of a decision or not I'm undecided on, but I am positive that the character hasn't dreamt of this moment for years and years.

>
>What are your thoughts on that scene?
I think its a fantastic film, top to bottom, start to finish. That whole vignette is one of the better pieces of the film and I enjoy that scene very much. The phrase "DNS" is just perfect. Its one of those little tiny things that make Tarantino dialogue so good. Its got a beat and a rhythm and a certain catchiness to it that makes it stick with you. Evidence by this being atpoic of discussion 12 years after the film was released.

What are you thoughts on
>Tarantino and the word in general?
None really, I only think about it when this topic gets brought up. As you yourself stated, I think he captures perfectly the white crims dialogue. Nobody shits themselves because Chris Penn says "spic" or they toss around "Faggot". These are not educated and enlightened people, they're career bad guys who've all done time and developed certain POVs that wouldn't fly with most of us.

Do you think he has some
>issues?
He doesn't make enough movies.

Do you think he gets off on saying it?
No

Do you think
>critics of it are just looking for something to bitch about?
No, I don't believe their opinions are any less valid than mine.

>Do you think he thinks he's black?
No.