Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectInterestingly enough
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=742632&mesg_id=748492
748492, Interestingly enough
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jun-26-23 08:21 AM
this is the second black dramatic streaming show that Walton Goggins has appeared in. I don't want to go too off tangent with this response since this thread is all about I'm A Virgo, but if you haven't, please check out The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. Goggins plays somewhat of an antagonist role on that show as well, but he isn't a villain persay as much as he was in I'm A Virgo.

Back I'm A Virgo itself, this show didn't suffer from the more fantasy/sci-fi story telling aspects like torpedoing the show like Sorry To Bother You did; I'm specifically referring to the last third act of Sorry to Bother You that just go way to silly despite how stellar the world building was in the first two-thirds of the movie. This show was much more balanced in the storytelling and character building despite how over the top some of the aspects were; it reminded me a bit of Everything Everywhere All At Once in being able to get the view to believe in the more abstract themes of the show early on.

Like you said in your review, it's a trip and a half that this show ended up on Amazon given how the heavy anti-Capitalism slant the show has. I suppose all the streaming platforms sadly enough are Big Business with a capital B, so it wouldn't have mattered which streaming platform Boots Riley partnered up with; I would argue that Amazon is the worst of the bunch, but that's for another post altogether.

I did a brief web search for rolling blackouts and I had no clue they were still a thing as recent as last year. I very very vaguely remember hearing about them either in the 90's or early 2000's. I had assumed they were a thing of the past; most unfortunate to hear they are still a recent occurrence. California or parts of California having a shoddy power grid makes me somewhat question to decision to do away with gas powered combustion cars since EV cars will have to use the same shoddy power grid to charges their cars. To be clear, I'm all for EV car usage as that will lessen the dependence on oil and help to somewhat clean up green house gases, but seems a bit odd to go that hard in the paint with EV cars if the power grid needs upgrade in a general sense. That subject definitely doesn't have much relevance with the show, so pardon me if that leads to this thread going too off the rails.

Lastly, I wonder if this will garner enough attention in terms of ratings to merit a second season. I'd love to see what else Boots Riley has in the pipe.