Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI've seen reports of wonky sound other places too
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=742769&mesg_id=748306
748306, I've seen reports of wonky sound other places too
Posted by handle, Mon Jun-05-23 12:39 PM
https://thedirect.com/article/spider-verse-2-audio-issues-theaters

Basically they made it too "dynamic" and depending on the speakers and the sound level the dialog intelligibility can suffer.

I think this shows how out of touch some of these film-makers are - I'm looking at the Imax folks too - especially Nolan.

I see some projectionist got an email, here a post from Film-tech:

--I got the following message (after our first round of shows, of course). I couldn't be there for the opening
night, but one of the asst managers told me he manually 'boosted the volume level' in our large auditorium
last night. I was in early this morning and did a personal ear-check in each auditorium and the sound IS
definitely 'soft' so I wound up programming higher level autocues.
I just wanted to give ya'll a heads up in case you're not aware of this already!
We have a mix of Trinnov & QSC processors . Unfortunately our servers & TMS don't have programmable
volume level cues above "0" (equiv to Dolby "7") on the QSC's. I think we can live with that- - but if not, I'll
have add them to the cue library. (I couldn't do that today for reasons not important here)

"Dear projectionists!

Ye unsung heroes of the cinematic arts and champions of great film presentation!
Hail to thee and many thanks for showing SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE across the
planet! We understand that films - particularly superhero films - can be loud. We have taken great
pains to mix this film for comfort and dynamics to maximize the moviegoer’s experience and be fun
and vibrant and never punishing. We invite you to play the film at full volume. In our experience this
film in a full house sometimes feels a touch quiet. So: please play it at 7 as intended. In some houses
we have found that 7.5 plays even better and richer especially when the seats are full! Thanks for your
hard work helping audiences enjoy the film, we trust you to give them the immersive bold thrilling
experience only a theater can provide. Excelsior!
Chris & Phil "
​
From what I heard, and from what a couple of friends who've seen the movie told me, there's quite a bit
of dynamic difference between the music/efx and the dialog. One guy asked me "Did Christopher Nolan
do the sound mix for this movie?"
--